converting window to square bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an 8ft window which i'm thinking of converting to a square bay (8ft *3ft) window. The existing house walls are cavity brick outer block inner. I'm not sure what to do about the walls for the new bay either cavity brick and block or outer brick and dry line internal. I'm also concerned about cold bridging as the new window would be joining the existing exterior wall at 90 degrees. I've done loads of DIY over the years but this is more advance to what I've done before so any advice/ideas would be appreciated. I'm looking at doing a warm roof with epdm, can anyone recomend insulation to use and thinkness required.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
A bay widow is considered an 'extension' as far as building reg's are concerned so it will fall under controlled works.

The window joining at 90° will be no more vulnerable to cold bridging as those joining in line.

The walls will need to comply to current reg's. 100mm outer skin, 100mm full fill (dritherm) cavity, 100mm lightweight block work, is fairly typical.

For a warm deck you are looking at upwards of 100mm celotex/kingspan/quintherm insulation sitting above the roof joists.

All surfaces i.e. floor, walls, roof will need to satisfy latest thermal regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back