1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooke & Lewis (Yes I know) Electric Oven Question

Discussion in 'Appliances' started by ceepeebee, 3 Dec 2017.

1. ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys

Today I started hearing a knocking every 1 second from my oven. After about 5 minutes that stopped but the oven is now considerably quieter and I'm sure one of the fans is now no longer working. The rear one that I can see is working however. How do I accurately find out which?

IF you think it's something else other than that feel free to correct me. My only reference point to now is that it continued to heat up which suggested to me that it wasn't the heating element, although I know this and other ovens have more than one heating element so again, I'm just going with my best guess here.

Thoughts and opinions appreciate? If it is I can get a replacement and get through Xmas before I get somebody in to sort gas pipes and I can get something that is a little more industry standard. (Yes, I know the oven is a very bad choice, however due to where our gas pipes run for our gas hob I've had to plump for this unit in order to get an oven that has a shallow depth to fit under our hob.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 3 Dec 2017
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I'd think the fan, possibly out of balance due to grease buildup. Depending on the design of your oven, it might be accessible by removing a false back. It will probably be next to, or surrounded by, the heating element, and possibly the top of the oven will overheat if air not blown around.

The actual oven might be made by Indesit or Beko or some other big maker.

edit
    I see yours is a gas oven, I have no experience of these and gas appliances are usually not suitable for DIY repair, unless the work does not involve or disturb gas parts or controls.

4. ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hey, thanks for the response. No, not a Gas oven, just gas pipes running behind it for the Gas Hob (should have clarified that, sorry).

The fan at the back of the oven (that I can see from looking direct, starts up and spins fine when I turn on the oven, the knocking noise seemed to be coming from the top of the oven. Might it be a top fan?

5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    it might be a cooling fan. Mine blows air between the outer casing and the oven (and especially the grill). It runs on while the oven cools, after you turn it off. Air blows out of slots at the front.

6. ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

That sounds more like it - does it also how whilst the oven is on as there is definitely a fan sound missing from the oven whilst it's on?

Assuming the fan at the back is the'heating' fan?

7. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    yes

8. Sponsored Links
  9. ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Excellent... I'll see if I can find a replacement

10. ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi @JohnD

Right I got a cooling fan replacement and I fitted it, however I deleted (accidentally of course) the photo I took of the motor connections for the cooling fan. I connected it back up as best guess by the way the wires bent, and it "works" but I'm just wondering that if I connected it up reverse the motor would still work?

Picture of the cooling fan below. There are no positive and negative signs, and only these two wires go in a crimp with other wires so I just replaced. Can't imagine I'm burning down the joint, just wondered if anybody had any ideas?

I'm awaiting new crimps before I close it up and set it loose, so I have 24 hours or so to check it out.

IMG_20171205_134407.jpg IMG_20171205_134359.jpg

11. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes it will work .... That type of motor will always run in the correct direction irrespective of the polarity of the supply to it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    ...because its AC voltage, so there is no positive and negative.

13. ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You couldn't tell from my question I'm not well versed in electrics? :) To be fair though, it's all gone fine - just need some crimp caps tomorrow.

Ta!

14. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The polarity refers to Live versus Neutral

There is positive and negative, Half the time the Live wire is Positive and the Neutral wire is Negative, the other half of the time they are reversed. The Live wire is Positive 50 times a second and Negative wire 50 times a second, hence the term 50 cycles per second ( since renamed 50 Hz Hertz in memory of the physicist Gustav Ludwig Hertz )

15. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local