Cooker Cable slightly damaged . Advice on repair.

[quote"]bruise (bruːz/) noun
an injury appearing as an area of discoloured skin on the body, caused by a blow or impact rupturing underlying blood vessels.

I don't think cables bruise!

Maybe the cable is a live?

Sponsored Links
Well Ive cut the insulation back to examine it closely and yes the cables have been damaged. They havent been completely cut through but are definitely mis shaped.

Presumably as was suggested earlier. I can but a junction box in and run fresh cable from it to the cooker isolation switch.

Any advice on best junction box to use.

the junction will be above the kitchen wall units with the fresh cable running down the back of the units to the isolation switch.

It doesn't look too bad but yes I would probably replace it. What you could do is carefully slice the outer sheath back a bit and then put a joint box in but only cut the black cable and rejoin it inside the jb with a wago. Don't cut the red and earth as no point. Good idea to still leave that joint accessible above the units.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look too bad but yes I would probably replace it. What you could do is carefully slice the outer sheath back a bit and then put a joint box in but only cut the black cable and rejoin it inside the jb with a wago. Don't cut the red and earth as no point. Good idea to still leave that joint accessible above the units.
It's obviously 'a matter of opinion', but I personally wouldn't be at all happy to leave that (just with SA tape or whatever) - for a start, there's not really any telling how close those damaged strands are to 'snapping'. Although it would be nice to just join the one conductor, if I understand correctly, the damage will be behind the units, so the cable may well have to be cut higher up and all three conductors joined in an accessible JB above the units (a "wago in a JB" would, of course, have to remain accessible, if one wanted to be reg-compliant).

Kind Regards, John

It's obviously 'a matter of opinion', but I personally wouldn't be at all happy to leave that (just with SA tape or whatever)

Which is why I wrote:

It doesn't look too bad but yes I would probably replace it.

It's obviously 'a matter of opinion', but I personally wouldn't be at all happy to leave that (just with SA tape or whatever)
Which is why I wrote:
OK, but my point was, that from my personal point of view, it did look 'too bad' to leave like that, and so I personally would not subscribe to the 'probably', either! As I said, opinions/judgements will vary.

Kind Regards, John

Which is why I wrote:
OK, but my point was, that from my personal point of view, it did look 'too bad' to leave like that, and so I personally would not subscribe to the 'probably', either! As I said, opinions/judgements will vary.

Kind Regards, John

Looking at the picture again now (earlier it was a quick glance!) I would agree with you John, and say that it should definitely be cut out!

Looking at the picture again now (earlier it was a quick glance!) I would agree with you John, and say that it should definitely be cut out!
Glad to hear that you agree with me now. I have to say that, although I acknowledged that opinions would vary, I was a little surprised by the view you initially expressed!

Cheers, John

What is best wago to use 222 or 773.

It would be behind the units so I will have to cut all three and join in JB above units.

So 3 wago s.

Alternatively the isolation switch is 18 inches below the damage. Could I simply move that up and have it inside the cupboard. It will still be readily accessible.

What is best wago to use 222 or 773.
Provided that the cable is no larger than 4mm², it's really a matter of choice, although I personally tend to favour 222s for stranded conductors. If it's 6mm², then you may have no choice but to use 773-173s, and least for line/live and neutral, since I'm not sure that they make 222s that will take that size conductor.
It would be behind the units so I will have to cut all three and join in JB above units. ... So 3 wago s.
Fair enough. Of course, it does not have to be Wagos - other JBs could be used.
Alternatively the isolation switch is 18 inches below the damage. Could I simply move that up and have it inside the cupboard. It will still be readily accessible.
Whilst it doesn't matter too much where an 'isolation switch' is, the main purpose of this one is probably as an 'emergency switch' - and, although I'm not aware of any regulations against it, some people (perhaps not unreasonably) don't like the idea of an 'emergency switch' which is behind boxes of cornflakes and pasta etc. or piles of saucepans! Another alternative would be to put the JB inside the cupboard, but I'm not sure I see any real advantage - above the cupboard sounds the most obvious.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back