Cooker circuit (more kitchen stuff!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Bit of advice if possible folks.

I've nearly completed the first fix of my kitchen wiring. I've added a new ring main for the general sockets which will be on the protected side of the CU. I've also fitted a new ring main which will be unprotected for the built in fridge, freezer, cooker chimney and gas hob ignition. Now the oven I'm getting is just a single oven with a 13a plug so doesn't actually need a separate circuit and I was originally thinking of just using the unprotected circuit for this too.

All outlets for the fixed appliances are below worktop height, switched above the worktop.

Now on to my question. There's currently a circuit in place for a freestanding electric oven and hob. It's in 6mm cable with a 32a MCB at the CU. I was thinking, in order to leave options open for the future, can I just keep this circuit? I'll have to move the cable because it's not currently terminating where the new oven will be but there's enough cable to do this.

I was planning to terminate the existing 6mm cable in a mounting box above worktop height with a 13a FCU. Then from the FCU down to another mounting box with a flex outlet plate. I figure it's best to use 6mm between FCU and outlet for consistency. The flex from the outlet to the oven will just be whatever comes with the oven. I figure I'm better using a FCU because a CCU won't provide the necessary fused protection required for the oven - is that correct?

Is the above acceptable? Should I change the MCB for a smaller one? I've got a new CU to be fitted and have several MCB's at my disposal. I can't see why I'd need to reduce the MCB because the cable is fairly large for 32a protection but figured I's ask.

I don't think it matters but the cable run between CU and cooker FCU is under 15m.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
Sorry folks, anyone able to comment on whether or not this is possible before I get clobbered by BC to change it?

Cheers

Fred.

You could fit a 20A D.P. switch to control a socket that your oven will just plug in to, probably best to change your MCB to 16A or 20A if you have one.
Though your way sound fine. A CCU would also be ok as the 13A FCU will provide overload protection

Cheers BigJon,

I'll crack on with that then in preparation for, gulp, the first BC inspection on Friday. Fingers crossed I've done it all to the regs - I'm fairly sure I have.

Fred.

Sponsored Links
Should be fine, you seem to have a sound knowlege of what your doing, good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back