cooker element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I recently replaced the fan element on my cooker. I messed about with the thermostat before that but replaced it the way it was. The new element is working great but the pre-heat light doesn`t go off and the temp is always blasting even though it is on 0.

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
You have done something wrong with the thermostat.

Supernova said:
Ok......Is it best just to buy a new one? Would that be the problem then do you think?

Cheers!
yes. if the heater is running constantly, the thermostat is buggered.

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking, its not a thermostat (which is simple switch set to operate at a pre-determined temperature). Its a temperature sensor (which is a more delicate device). It seems to be failing to recognise the temperature increase when the oven is turned on, so the heater elements will remain powered up forever.

You could test the sensor, with a multimeter, but its probably better to simply change it.

Or it might be connected wrong.

Time to splash out £8 on a multimeter and check all the connections.

If we all had handles to reflect our leanings ( :eek: ), then John would be MM & RCBOMan, and I would be OsramMan!

As for the others, I shall leave comment be!

i,ve known the thermostat contacts fuse together after a fault with the element,i would say its down to a current surge from the previous fault,,,thats why your preheating light is always on new stat required mate,a mulimeter would comfirm this,,,,,,[/list]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back