cooker fan and hob wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help - but in laymans terms as I am a novice here. I just want to check something.

I have a built in oven a ceramic hob (comet special) and a cooker hood (ignis) What is the wiring needed for this combination as it is I have the cooker connected to that little (what looks like blanking plate) and then the ceramic hob wired using what can only be termed as cooker wire (its thick and flat) to a plug...(never seen that thick a wire in a 13amp plug before?) Then there is the hood which has 2 wires neutral and live connected to nothing at the minute- the manual says it is supplied without a plug and is intended for direct connection to fixed wiring. An all pole disconnection switch with a minimum contact seperation of 3mm must be included in the fixed wiring etc. ???????

Can the hood be fixed to a plug and if so a normal 13a plug or something special. I have a cooker point with a plug socket which is being used for the ceramic hob and wondered what the best way round it all is to connect it up safely...

I am sorry for the wafflings but as its electrics I want to check that its done properly.

Sponsored Links
you can use a plug for the hood. plugs can be used for isolation upto 16A.

ksasnic said:
the ceramic hob wired using what can only be termed as cooker wire (its thick and flat) to a plug...(never seen that thick a wire in a 13amp plug before?)
Did the instructions say that this is OK? Hobs are usually far in excess of the 3kW limit for a plug & socket....

An all pole disconnection switch with a minimum contact seperation of 3mm must be included in the fixed wiring etc. ???????
An FCU will do that.

Can the hood be fixed to a plug and if so a normal 13a plug or something special.
Normal plug, but with a smaller fuse. 3A probably, but the instructions will tell you what the load is and/or that info will be on the hood itself.

I have a cooker point with a plug socket which is being used for the ceramic hob and wondered what the best way round it all is to connect it up safely...
If you really do have the hob on a 13A plug then the best thing is (probably) to change that connection immediately...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back