Cooker Hood no Fan Function

BQW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On several occasions, I have been asked to look at Lamona cooker hoods, all got the same fault, lights ok but the fan motor is not running.
The switch appears ok, alough through fault finding is tricky due to units being fixed to the wall, but all clues suggest a o/c neutral to the Motor, has any one had this fault ? ring any bells ?

Sponsored Links
I work on these regularly. Always the motor assy. They have an internal thermal switch that goes, need to replace the motor itself.
So am assuming you are an appliance engineer not a DIY novice.

Instructions are for the standard chimney type (not the curved glass ones)
the motor comes by itself, you can carry out the repair with the hood in situ working from underneath having taken off the grease filter
Remove the bulbs
There are 4 screws that hold the motor housing in place, undo 3 of them so that it is held up by one screw (at the rear right), leaving the motor housing dangling down
Then unscrew the left fan cover (3 screws)
Pull the motor out with the fan attached as far as you can then snip the wiring loom that runs to the motor. (I shouldn't have to tell you to have the thing unplugged/turned off at this point)
You can then remove the fan & motor assy completely
Strip down the assembly, fan off, motor of metal spider and then reassemble
Push the assembly back into the housing then re-secure
Then you need to undo the housing where the wires connect to (4 screws front lower centre of motor housing) This holds a chocolate block
You should easily identify which wire goes where, they are all different colours so easy to follow, just follow the cut wires from the original motor loom and swap a wire for a wire.
The only slightly problematic wires are for the capacitor, you will need to crimp these together
Refit the 3 motor assy housing screws and bulbs
plug it in and off you go.

Biggest problem is it makes your arms ache having them up high for so long rewiring the chocolate block and also its a pain to get access to the plug socket behind the hood chimney, much quicker to turn the circuit off at the consumer unit

Experienced this can be done in 35-40 minutes, first time moist likely an hour.

The curved glass ones are a pain in the ass, some are much more difficult than others
They require the glass cover and chimney removing and often the stainless steel body that surrounds the grease filter

This is where you experience the screw ups that kitchen fitters do and learn how not to install a cooker hood :)

Hope that helps

Thanks very much, the reply was most helpful, the latest one was the Glass type, nothings easy or meant to be to repaired these days is it ?
I bet the motor`s not cheap either.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
https://www.espares.co.uk/search/ma2361pt1742/cooker-hoods/motors/lamona

£50 +
The one we fitted looks just like the one priced at £49.53 in the above link
We used to be able to fit the all in one assembly, motor/housing/fan blade priced at £144.99. They then stopped making that part available, so we ended up having to strip the appliance down as per my instructions to carry out the repair. Companies don't care how hard it is for their engineers, so reducing the repair cost but making it 4 x harder for us is typical of their approach.

The other motors, one comes with a capacitor, are basically all the same. I never had a capacitor fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back