Cooker Hood Rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the 'typical' power rating of the 'average' chimney hood ? More specifically, can they be powered from a lighting circuit ?

Sponsored Links
Every domestic hood ive installed has always been a max of 13A, But regarding the light circuit cant you get a feed from your ring main via a fused spur unit?

I can get a feed from the ring as you say. Just trying to decide where the cable runs should be as I'm having the room plastered this week. I figured that powering from the light circuit would mean having the cables hidden above the wall units though this might cause a problem in being able to isolate the supply.

If I use an FCU at worktop level to isolate the supply, do I need a flex outlet nearer the hood ? Where exactly should I position such an outlet ? Behind the hood ? I'd prefer it not to be visible.

I usually wire of the ring main with a FSU, make sure the rated fuse is in place to protect your fan. locate near the fan. Then because your plastering the walls run the supply cable for your fan in T&E not flex.

So when the plastering is complete the cable from your spur will be behind the fan, so when you wire into the motor all you will see is the FSU in a location of your choice but make sure its not more than 2M away.

if you dont understand ask me for more detail and i will draw a picture.

Sponsored Links
My wiring at present has the FCU just above the worktop. The spur from the FCU runs up the wall to what I intended to be a flex outlet. However, based on your response, I guess I could just forget the flex outlet, replace the current spur with a longer length of cable and run it up and round all the way to the back of the hood. Is this what you are suggesting ? The FCU isn't more than 2m from the hood but the total length of the spur might be. Is this a problem ?

The flex outlet plate connector is still a neat solution, it should be directly above the FCU so people can guess where the buried cable is. Another advantage is that when the hood needs to be replaced it will be easy to disconnect it.

If you have the outlet up high, it will not be at all eye-catching, especially if the colour is similar to the walls. Most people don't notice anything above eye level.

BTW I just had a look at my hood, it is 190watt. 3-speed, 1-metre wide, and has 2 20w bulbs in it, but I imagine a chimney extractor has a bigger fan.

Thank you for your comments & suggestions. The plasterers start tomorrow so I'll have to make my decision tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back