Cooker hood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a cooker hood to replace my old one thats stopped working.

Im after one that you can just stick a 3 pin plug on and run off a mains socket.

was looking at this but apparently it should not be used with a socket.

question:
why cant they all lust be wired up to a plug and what governs whether the hood should be wired directly or if it has to use a socket?

Sponsored Links
Why do you think that?

There's no reason why you can't put a plug on it - or anything < 13A within reason.

Why do you think that?

I should have mentioned there's a question in the product Q and A to which screwfix answered it should not be wired to a plug

"This product states that "the appliance must be connected directly to the mains using an omnipolar circuit breaker with a minimum opening of 3mm between the contacts." so you should not use a plug on it.

Thank you for using Q&A (CW)"

I couldn't work out why this might be since some units say its fine and others dont.

Thought id check withe the knowledgeable folk on here

Last edited:
I should have mentioned there's a question in the product Q and A to which screwfix answered it should not be wired to a plug

"This product states that "the appliance must be connected directly to the mains using an omnipolar circuit breaker with a minimum opening of 3mm between the contacts." so you should not use a plug on it.
Ignore them.

Whoever wrote that ought not to have been given the job of answering questions.

Sponsored Links
The instructions really just mean that you need some kind of double pole isolator, which would be the main switch in most installations. Somehow that's turned into omnipolar circuit breaker which is clearly a bad translation, and that has been further translated into plugs are not allowed.
The regs regarding isolation say that a plug and socket are a perfectly acceptable mechanism for isolation, if that's necessary.

So i just picked up the hood in question and the leaf only has a live and a neutral. No earth.

Its this still okay for use with a 3 pin standard plug?

It means it is double insulated (or has reinforced insulation) and does not require earthing.

This is considered 'safer' than earthing.

It is claimed to be double insulated and so suitable for not having an earth. Just connect the two wire that are present into the plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back