Cooker hood wiring

Winston please STOP being so short sighted, your obsession with this opinion of yours proves conclusively that you have little experience of real life when things go wrong.

Turn off at the CU, then at night the house is then likely to be in darkness. and the cordless phone is likely to be useless without power.
I never said turn off the whole CU. The lights are not on the same circuit as kitchen appliances. Cordless phones come with a warning that they don’t work without power and a corded phone should be kept.
This recent obsession with a row of isolators above kitchen worktops is simply that, an obsession, and not necessary or done in other parts of the world.

Sponsored Links
I never said turn off the whole CU.

You with your calm wisdom will be able to select which MCB needs to be turned off if the washing machine starts smoking,

Other people may not be as calm and as logical as you in that situation.

not necessary or done in other parts of the world.
In the 26-Counties it is a Rule breach which would prevent certification and prevent you from getting an ESB supply so your comments aren't entirely accurate.

Also switching only the line (phase) conductor in a single phase domestic premises does not meet the definition of isolation.

It’s permitted in the Republic of Congo though.
Why do you keep droning on about what’s permitted in foreign countries? It has no relavence to most of the topics.
There is a separate forum for these matters: Electrics Outside the UK.
Perhaps you should post there instead?

Sponsored Links
In the 26-Counties it is a Rule breach which would prevent certification and prevent you from getting an ESB supply so your comments aren't entirely accurate.

Also switching only the line (phase) conductor in a single phase domestic premises does not meet the definition of isolation.

Once again what 26 counties? If it is that foreign country near where you live it is totally irreverent to the UK and this forum.

It’s permitted in the Republic of Congo though.
Why do you keep droning on about what’s permitted in foreign countries? It has no relavence to most of the topics.
There is a separate forum for these matters: Electrics Outside the UK.
Perhaps you should post there instead?
Winston was the one who incorrectly claimed that it was unnecessary in other parts of the world. I proved him to be incorrect.

Once again what 26 counties? If it is that foreign country near where you live it is totally irreverent to the UK and this forum.
You incorrectly claimed that it was unnecessary in other parts of the world. I proved you to be incorrect.

In the 26-Counties it is a Rule breach ...
I'm not sure what is being said here. What is a "Rule breach" in those places - installing "a row of isolators above kitchen worktops" or not installing "a row of isolators above kitchen worktops"?

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure what is being said here. What is a "Rule breach" in those places - installing "a row of isolators above kitchen worktops" or not installing "a row of isolators above kitchen worktops"?

Kind Regards, John
Not installing isolators is prohibited.

I guessed that much - but is it also prohibited to not have "a row of isolators above kitchen worktops"?

Kind Regards, John
The isolator must be within 2m of each appliance so a grid arrangement is out of the question.

The isolator must be within 2m of each appliance so a grid arrangement is out of the question.
In that case I'm getting confused. If you are interpreting "a row of isolators above kitchen worktops" as meaning "a grid arrangement", which is "out of the question" in places near you, your statement about those places surely does not invalidate winston's statement that such an arrangement is not "done in other parts of the world" (i.e. parts of the world other than the UK), does it?

Kind Regards, John

In that case I'm getting confused. If you are interpreting "a row of isolators above kitchen worktops" as meaning "a grid arrangement", which is "out of the question" in places near you, your statement about those places surely does not invalidate winston's statement that such an arrangement is not "done in other parts of the world" (i.e. parts of the world other than the UK), does it?

Kind Regards, John
I said that each isolator needs to be within two metres of the appliance rather than just having a grid switch with everything on it, so it's your interpretation which is incorrect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back