cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to run a spur from a socket to power the cooker hood via a metal faced switched FCU, the cooker hood is the no earth type (as most are these days),
I obviously intend to earth the switch but should i also earth the cooker hood even though it says "this appliance must not be earthed ?.and would a 3 amp fuse be ok or should i use a 5 amp

And i'm fitting a hob and single fan oven, the hob will be wired into the outlet box that is already on the wall, but can i simply run a spur (leg) from the radial cooker circuit via a plastic non switched FCU (13 amp) for the cooker?

And one last question are there any rules regarding routing ? the cooker hood cable will be about 8 feet and the cooker cable about 5 feet both laid out at 90 degrees (one either side of cooker) they will be through a mixture of lave and plaster and gysum plasterboard i intend to use conduit throughout as i'm a great believer in the old "belt and braces" school of doing things,i intend using 2.5mm cable throughout,

Is all this ok ,sorry about going on but i think it is best to ask questions properly the first time so as to avoid confusion,
by the way if any of you sparkys need advice on cooking (one of the best way to get into a birds knickers is to cook them a romantic meal) then i'm your man as i'm a chef ,share the knowledge thats what i say ;)

THANKS DAVY

Sponsored Links
should i also earth the cooker hood...

this appliance must not be earthed

There's your answer!! ;)

The fuse? Look in the manual or ring the manufacturer, but generally for a bog standard hood, 3A is sufficient.

As for extending the cooker circuit, what size cable is the existing? And what size fuse/circuit breaker?

There are some golden rules to adhere to when extending such a circuit:

Use the same size cable. Make sure the circuit can stand the additional load.

As for the isolator, as long as it is max. 2m from all of the appliances it isolates, that is compliant.

birds knickers

I didn't know chickens wore them.

As for extending the cooker circuit, what size cable is the existing? And what size fuse/circuit breaker?

The existing cable on the cooker circuit is also 2.5mm and the circuit is protected by an rcd unit ,don't know what the mcb is but i believe 32amp is the standard for cooker circuits, all the electrics were checked a couple of years ago and everything was fine

Use the same size cable

The cable from the socket for the hood is also 2.5mm although the cable (or should that be flex ?) from the actual cooker hood is much thinner probably 0.5mm or 0.75mm.
And you were right 3amp is the very fellow to use
So i should only earth the FCU (because it is metal),i only ask because manufacturers will never ever ever admit that their product could ever be wrong in anyway,but i live in the real world like i said before "belt and braces"

I didn't know chickens wore them.

Some of the birds i know don't wear them either :eek:

The existing cable on the cooker circuit is also 2.5mm and the circuit is protected by an rcd unit ,don't know what the mcb is but i believe 32amp is the standard for cooker circuits, all the electrics were checked a couple of years ago and everything was fine

actually i got it wrong here the cable is infact 4.0mm,i have just opened the socket to check
the reason i thought it was 2.5mm was that some knobhead had previously ran a 2.5mm cable from the cooker circuit into a plastic single socket inside one of the cubboards,not only that when said knobhead fitted this socket he cracked the box!.
They only cost about 80 pence for christ sake!!
i would have checked the cable size anyway as i don't like to assume things ,thats how idiots get the darwin award!!
That was why i had everything checked out because it kept tripping,
The electrician disconnected the cable and taped the end as i did not want to rip out the units or put holes in the wall to get to it,the socket end was taped off and left under the units,but now i'm having a complete refit so im ripping out and putting in what ever holes are neccessary to do the job properly,
So the cable that was in the wall is now in the bin,and the wall is full of holes,
so to recap
the hob which will be connected to the wall terminal (i dont know the exact wattage as we have looked at a few) what is the average for a mulitifunction single fan oven /grill? 6000 to 7000 perhaps a little bit more ?so it will be that plus the cooker on this circuit. i tried to look up the wattage of various ovens on the net but as soon as you type in ovens you get thousands of sites selling ovens but no site with any real info,, if i have to change the mcb to 45amp thats no big deal ,but i hope 32 amp will suffice as less is sometimes more

i should use 4.0mm cable from cooker circuit to a non switched plastic FCU (13amp) and connect the cooker to the FCU and bingo we are not cooking on gas we are cooking on electric

Sponsored Links
I went back to the shop again to look at oven/hobs again and it is a choice between 2 hobs,
one is 6600 watt and the other 7000watt,
please tell me if im wrong but the amps are

6600watts /240volt = 27.5amps

7000watts/240volt= 29.1amps

so either of them plus 13amps for the oven is more than 32 amps(size of mcb fitted)

i know it is not just a case of maths and you have to take other factors into consideration,thats why im here because if you want expert advice then you have to ask an expert

so should i change the mcb from 32amps to 45amps

Try searching "diversity"....if you don't find what you need let us know ;)

My thanks to Pensdown,its so simple it should have occured to me,
even as a chef i have never used all 4 gas hobs on my present cooker at the same time then of course you have to add the use of grill/oven etc into the equation,
so looks like 32amp is fine after all which is good because 45amp would probably mean replacing the cable in the whole circuit and that is NOT a job for a diyer,i know my limitations

Im very good with auto electrics and the principals are much the same but auto electrics rarely kill unlike mains electrics,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back