cooker mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my i have recently bought a new double oven and it states its 11.3kw also there is a plug socket on the oven switch i use at the moment it has a 30 amp mcb fitted i was wondering if it needed a higher one

Sponsored Links
hi my i have recently bought a new double oven and it states its 11.3kw also there is a plug socket on the oven switch i use at the moment it has a 30 amp mcb fitted i was wondering if it needed a higher one
On the basis of accepted guidelines, the 30A MCB should be fine, but you really ought to also make sure that the circuit is wired with cable that can safely carry 30A.

Kind Regards, John

its a 6mm as far as i know only reason i was asking was im sure i read somewhere if the oven switch has a socket fitted it should be 40 amp

Sponsored Links
its a 6mm as far as i know only reason i was asking was im sure i read somewhere if the oven switch has a socket fitted it should be 40 amp
Your 11.3 kW cooker would draw a maximum of about 47A at 240V (which is the voltage at which cooker ratings are usually quoted). The guidelines regarding 'diversity' (i.e. taking into account the fact that everything will not be simultaneously running at full load) say that one should consider the load as being the first 10A of the max cooker load PLUS 30% of the rest of the max cooker load, PLUS 5A if there is a socket run off the circuit. For your situation, that therefore works out as:

10A + (30% of 37A) + 5A = 10A + 11.1A + 5A = 26.1A

... hence well under 30A.

With many routes of cable installation, 4mm² cable would fine for 30A, and 6mm², if that's what you have, certainly would be.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back