Cooker on Ring!!

I can see the lighting is on 2 MCBs the opposite side of the board

What I cant understand is that for a 4 bedroom house there is only about 6 fuses being used

so 2 lighting on the non RCD side..
and 4 circuits on the RCD side...?

what are these circuits?

Sponsored Links
didnt get chance to pop into my friends last night, but I am pretty sure that the electric hob and cooker are both wired into the same point behind the cooker. I havnt looked to check for sure, but thats what my friend recalls from memory. He has a standard single oven and a halogen hob, so if it were wired into one single point I would assume there should be at least a 6mm or even 10mm cable running straight back to a 45a fuse at the consumer unit? (PS: Im no sparky just thinking common sense).

Thing is if is is all wired on the same ring (cooker, tumble dryer, washing machine, immersion heater, cooker, hob etc etc) surely there is also a fire risk involved here.

Anyway I will check when I get chance over the next day or so and see what wires are going where.

Many thanks for the comments

Neil

charliefunkuk said:
Thing is if is is all wired on the same ring (cooker, tumble dryer, washing machine, immersion heater, cooker, hob etc etc) surely there is also a fire risk involved here.

Unlikely to catch fire, the MCB will trip if too much current is drawn. That's what it's there for.

As stated previously one ring is not uncommon.

My house 3 bed detached when built in 1964 only had one ring for the whole house (there are four now)

My mothers 2 bed bungalow built in 1980 still only has one ring.

It's not uncommon today to plug ovens in as they don't take huge amounts of electricity. On the otherhand electric hobs do. (I assume the hob is electric and not gas with electricity for spark ignition)

The immersion should be on a separate circuit though, and have been that way for a while. When I trained in 1980 fixed water heaters weren't allowed on a ring, they had to have a separate circuit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back