1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooker socket question

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by ddjmagic, 5 Jun 2021.

1. ddjmagic

ddjmagic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I've moved into a house and it currently has a separate 45A RCBO in the consumer unit to a dedicated cooker socket above the worktop like this:

hagcook.jpg

Then it goes to an outlet below the worktop behind the cooker space like this:

hagcook2.jpg

I'm assuming the previous occupants had their cooker directly wired into this outlet.

I however do not have an electric cooker, it is gas and only uses electric for the ignitor.
    What is the best way to connect this up? Can I simply cut a hole in the worktop and plug the cooker into this socket or should it be done differently?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. chivers67

chivers67

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    what size cable is in the cooker outlet 6mm? you maybe able to put a socket here instead, cutting a hole in the work top will look sh!t and a bodge.

4. ddjmagic

ddjmagic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's 10mm cable (which just seems like overkill to me).
    I was thinking the hole in worktop would just be big enough for the flex cable and then the plug could be put back on and plugged it

The cable from the socket to the outlet is potentially easily replaced though, if need be.

5. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    As Chivers says - just change the cooker outlet for a socket - or Fused Connector Unit.

You don't need to change the cable.

6. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I like the option of putting a surface socket box adjacent to the cooker outlet, and feeding it from the terminals in the outlet.

If/when you get an electric cooker, it is a trifling job to connect it to the terminals in the cooker outlet, which is still present.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Exactly John.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So, as regards John's point, one could leave a long 6mm cable long enough to reach a future cooker - but dress it neatly and connect to a surface mounted single socket?

10. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well you could. Op doesn’t have that though.

personally put a socket where it won’t prevent the cooker being pushed back.
    Maybe in the cupboard next to oven.

run 2.5mm between outlet and socket.
    Can be used for gas igniter or even an oven in future as some ovens come with plugs these days

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    yes, when I did that, the outlet (and the socket) were to the side of the cooker. I formerly had a dual-fuel cooker with a single oven, rated at 13A max, so plugged in.

But I butted the socket right up against the cooker outlet, with no exposed cable, and used (IIRC) 6mm cable singles to the socket, or whatever the cooker circuit was run in. 2.5mm would have been rated below the MCB, which I did not want to change. Thick cables are fairly tricky to bend and place in a socket.

I still have a "cooker" circuit with a socket connected, for the FF, since my house was built with cooker outlets on both sides, to facilitate future changes of whim.

12. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    Perfectly acceptable, the 2.5mm² would be protected by the plug fuse.

I suppose ddjmagic could rewire the ring circuit to provide a socket for the hob - or completely rebuild the house - or....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ddjmagic

ddjmagic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the help guys, a socket next to the outlet sounds like the best solution (y)

14. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just change the outlet for a single socket, otherwise you have to mess about with extra wiring.

• Like Like x 1