cooker socket wiring? 2 circuits or 1??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have been running the washing wachine off the cooker socket for years as we dont have electric cooker. then today the washing machine didnt work. as i pulled the plug out to check the fuse there was a huge flash and explosion which cracked the front plate of the wall socket

the wall socket is one of those with 2 switches( 1 big and 1 small), 2 lights and 1 socket

when i opened it up i expected to find 2 sets of wires - 1 from the 45amp cooker circuit and 1 from the ring main (possibly as a spur from the sockets nearby) or at least 2 sets of live wires but there was only one set, seemingly from the cooker circuit?

is that how its supposed to be? I dont see the point of 2 switches if there is only one supply circuit

Sponsored Links
1 switch switches off the cooker, the other switches off the socket...

both fed from the cooker supply cable..

but i know the big switch controls the socket too. there is no cooker attached and never has been.

if someone was to put some combination of toastie maker, iron, toaster, microwave, kettle, tumble dryer, washing machine etc on a 3way multi adapter on that socket and have a cooker off a permanent connection wouldnt it overload?

Sponsored Links
yes it would overload the socket and melt it and burn your house down..

that's why those devil blocks should be banned by the government and anyone found with one in their house is to be taken into the street and shot...

the cooker feed will probably be 32A or 40A depending on the cooker that was installed..

your ring main is only 32A so the same thing can be said of any socket in your house with a 3 way block in it.. unless it's fused which many aren't...

the big switch should not control the socket too unless someone has wired it incorrectly and put the feed into the load side of the cooker switch..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back