Cooker Switch Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Having a 6kW cooker installed and my current unfinished setup looks like this:

Starting at the Fuse Box (not actually connected yet), 10mm cable was channeled through upstairs joists and dropped into kitchen. The drop meant chiseling wall and embedding wire straight into the Cooker Switch (the thing with the Red On/Off switch). This entire run is around 10~11 meters.

Continuing its journey from the underside of the Cooker Switch, the cable is yet again 'embedded' into wall and drops beneath worktop (a further 300mm). Here it opens out (i.e. no longer embedded in the wall) and connects straight into the back of the cooker (with 2 ft of slack in case the cooker needs to be pulled out).

I like to understand these things before calling out pros so wondered whether :

1. A Cooker Outlet plate should be introduced between cooker and switch to facilitate removal/replacement of cooker in the future - as shown below:

2. Whether the cable MUST be embedded/chiseled in the wall by law or can I trunk the bit its not?

3. Any other tips/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
1. Yes
2. Yes if you want to, beware that surface may then mean the cooker doesn't line up with the front cabinet line. You should check this by measurement and by visual on the rear of the cooker, some have bumps and void areas. Void areas may be the best location for trunking, box and plate.
3. Use suitably rated 3core heat proof flex to connect between cooker and plate.

1. A Cooker Outlet plate should be introduced between cooker and switch to facilitate removal/replacement of cooker in the future
The cooker isolation switch is there to isolate the cooker, this could be for number of reason, not just for removal and replace.
2. Whether the cable MUST be embedded/chiseled in the wall by law or can I trunk the bit its not?

No law to say you have to chase cable in wall and no law stating trunking as an alternative.
3. Any other tips/suggestions?
Are you using the correct safe zones for the cable route also be aware how the new cooker sits in place as sometimes the outlet in not correctly positioned, will prevent the cooker going back to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back