cooker switch with socket

after all the part p has settled down - can anybody say whether it is a certain type of switch that only allows the socket to work when the cooker switch is on. (I don't usually have the cooker switch on because no electric cooker connected to it).

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
Im not reading incorrectly, Im reading it & thought it ambiguous.

It may well be clear to you, what I am saying is that it isnt clear to me.
shrug.gif

I have just telephoned my local council to ask, they had to confer & agreed it wasnt clear
shrug.gif

gibbo67 said:
after all the part p has settled down - can anybody say whether it is a certain type of switch that only allows the socket to work when the cooker switch is on. (I don't usually have the cooker switch on because no electric cooker connected to it).

Normally they would be independent.

Back to Spark123's answer buried back on Page 1, you would normally have a permanent live input feeding the two switches. If you had your permanent live input going to the output of the cooker switch by mistake, then it would act as you describe.

Can you post a picture of what you have got..... ? Failing that, a drawing.

Sponsored Links
That was suggested as a possible cause 2 days ago - surely he's checked it out by now?

Just thought it might be worth pointing it out again, as Gibbo might've missed it amongst all the other posts.....

the feed cable is going into LOAD, and cooker cable going into SUPPLY, which according to posts is correct.

Do you think it must just be the design of switch?

gibbo67 said:
the feed cable is going into LOAD, and cooker cable going into SUPPLY, which according to posts is correct.

I don't know which post's that is according to but it is wrong. The feed cable should go to 'Supply' and the cooker cable to 'Load' and it will operate correctly.

Spark123 said:
Check you have the live and neutral from the feed cable going into the L & N in or feed, and the cable from the cooker connected to the L & N out or supply. It is possible you may have got them reversed or mixed up.

I was referring to this post by Spark123 - who is correct????

What you have is that the supply (from the meter) is going through the big cooker switch, before it reaches the socket.
You want (I think, from what you have said) power to reach the socket even if the cooker switch is off, so reverse the roles of load and supply
Then the supply should goes first to the socket and big switch, and only on to the cooker through the out put (load side) of the big switch.
Helps?

Spark 123 has boooooooooobed.

Everything he said was OK, up to the word "supply" which should, of course, been "load".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back