cooker wiring

S

snadge

as we are doing the kitchen weve noticed previous electrics have been botched - the cooker cable was run into a double socket (from fusebox) and gas cooker was plugged into the opposite double socket by 3-pin plug for the ignition - dodgy diaganol wiring, plastic trunks and cardboard covering junction boxes in wall

im getting in a sparky to sort it all out but for the moment I want to use the cooker wire as we are guna get electric oven/gas hob with new kitchen - I have the faceplate for cooker to be wired into it and fitting a cooker switch next to double socket to turn ON/OFF etc - I need to run wiring from faceplate to the switch...

...can anyone recommend what wiring I need to use? - I have some 2.5mm for mains and lights, can I use that or do I have to get the thicker stuff for cookers? i think the answers obvious that i need thicker cable but just thought I would ask before i buy a whole roll just for 2-3ft

cheers

Sponsored Links
What output will the new cooker be?
If it's less than 3kw you may get away with a socket outlet, any bigger the cable size will be effected.
So addition information will be important.
Fuse type?
Do you have RCD protection on circuit or CU?
does the cable run through any thermal insulation along it's run?

What output will the new cooker be?
If it's less than 3kw you may get away with a socket outlet, any bigger the cable size will be effected.
So addition information will be important.
Fuse type?
Do you have RCD protection on circuit or CU?
does the cable run through any thermal insulation along it's run?

I got some cooker type cable 6mm 46amp i think it was - it 2m lengths from B&Q for £6 odd - not cheap like

all I know that the cable is run up the wall in a trunk to a fusebox where it has its own trip on the console "cooker" - it doesnt run through any insulation I know off

the cooker is 0.95Kw i think
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50123008

would the 2.5mm twin earth cable have been OK?

The link, does not give the information of the ovens total output,(just bits of it). If you have the installation instruction the information should be on there or the cooker will have a plate on the casing that will display the information.
A 6.00mm cable will carry 47Amp that will offer over 10KW of power.
So really need to know the output before a more informed answer can be given.

Sponsored Links
The link, does not give the information of the ovens total output,(just bits of it). If you have the installation instruction the information should be on there or the cooker will have a plate on the casing that will display the information.
A 6.00mm cable will carry 47Amp that will offer over 10KW of power.
So really need to know the output before a more informed answer can be given.

we dont have ti yet, the kitchen arrives in 2 weeks with the oven and thats all the info there is on it??

the 6mm cable will be OK wont it? it matches the cable that was already there for cooker (but wasnt being used on cooker)

I got some cooker type cable 6mm 46amp i think it was - it 2m lengths from B&Q for £6 odd - not cheap like
£1.30/m in Screwfix, and I doubt they're the cheapest around.

Please note - if you're going to start thinking that £6 for some cable is expensive enough that you remark on it then please give up all plans of new electrics for anything anywhere and stick with what you've got. :rolleyes:

the cooker is 0.95Kw i think
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50123008[/QUOTE]
No - what that says is

Energy consumption with a standard load, top and bottom heating: 0.95 kWh.

I've highlighted the important bit. That 0.95kWh figure tells you absolutely nothing about the load of the cooker - it is just as much use as if you were to ask a car maker "what's the top speed of this car?" and they said "in average traffic conditions and obeying the law, if you left Marble Arch at 16:30 on the first Friday in October to drive to Heathrow Airport you would average 13.2mph".

But it doesn't matter - when you have the electrics re-done you'd be mad not to have a cooker circuit capable of supporting an all-electric range cooker installed, as the difference that a bit of larger cable will make to the overall cost is insignificant.

would the 2.5mm twin earth cable have been OK?
No. It doesn't have to just be OK for the cooker load, it also has to be OK for the rating of the MCB in the CU.

Read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:mcbtocable

I would use 10mm too, it will allow for a higher powered cooker, even if the one you intend to buy now is lower, any upgrade in the future will be covered.

where do they get these measurements from? what is 6mm about the cable anyway? the cooker cable is about 6-7mm thick but the 2.5mm cable is about 5mm thick

theres no new circuit going in, im just going to use the cable thats already installed which is the 6mm, to move to 10mm would mean ripping current cable out of the wall, ive just installed new ceiling in kitchen too where cable runs and installation into the fusebox.

about the price: 2 meters of cable = £6 odd - you find same for £1.38 a meter - thats £2.76 for 2 meters (and thats probably not the cheapest) - so yeah I think £6-£7 for 2meters of cable IS expensive when u can get it for LESS than half that price

"Wired-in installation. Installation to be made by a qualified electrician."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back