cookies ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, in my c/documents and settings/owner.
ive come across a folder with 290 cookies in it/ as i thought these were just wasting space and should be deleted.. ?
i tried to do it /.but it came up on screen/..[.cookies is a windows system folder and is required for windows to run properly. it cannot be deleted.
which seems pretty straight faward and to the point.]
so what cookies is it that should be deleted ? ..regards. r.r.

Sponsored Links
R.R.
Cookies are, usually, handy little things that save you having to log on every time you go to your regular web sites, like these forums. They let the site know who you are and can speed up your browsing because certain sites will know what sections you will be browsing mostly and have them ready to download.
Some cookies are NOT quite that handy and can cause problems.

If you use Firefox as your browser go to
Tools > Options > Privacy
In the Cookies box click Show Cookies
Check the list and leave any that you recognise and any that either you don’t know or were a one-off you can delete from the list.

There are similar options in Internet Explorer

dave

Yes, you can edit the Cookiies file when you remember to delete any that you don't recognise.

Also, you can use a programme like (free) Adaware that wil remove malicious data tracking cookies.

If you can be bothered, you can set cookie handling so that instead of your PC accepting all cookies, a new site has to ask your permission before storing one on your PC. You can decide whether to always accept, always reject, or always ask if that site want to do it again. You just have to click on a box to do it.

For example, I have my bank set to "Always Accept" and Doubleclick set to "aways reject". You don't have to set these up in advance, you can do it when the site wants to load something. After a while your regular sites will all have been set so you will see few requests. You can change the rule for any site whenever you want.

Sponsored Links
In Explorer if that's what you're using
Choose:

> Tools from top menu bar
> Internet Options

Depending on version:

In Temporary Internet Files box
>Settings

Browsing History box [Latest version - although not sure about Vista]
>Settings

>View Files

Opens a new dialogue box where you can delete them [ same as you accessed before but permissions are set differently to prevent accidental deletion of the folder from the system]

They don't take up a great deal of room and it's these things which auto complete web site URLs when you type in the address bar etc, so it's up to you if you really want to delete them or not.

A better way of freeing up space is removing duplicate music files you have downloaded if it's something you do - if you have iTunes it makes a copy of a track when you add it from a source on your PC rather than linking to it or moving it.
100 songs will use up 300 or 400Mb

thanks for all your replies, they have each explained in detail what cookie,s are all about/ and easy stages as to how get rid of what i dont want, and how to set it up my comp for controling the things in the future.
this is a great site [ diynot.com ] keep up the good work. regards. r.r.

Yeah cookies aren't always worth deleting as they record your online behavior, where you have been etc, so for example if you returned to your online email provider it can record your password so you don't have to enter it again.

Someone else could access the index.dat files.. Which we know nothing about... The files may hold lots of personal info.

Here is a good read concerning cookies, temporary internet files etc. Where they are stored and how to clean 'em up.

http://www.codeproject.com/system/Cleanup_API.asp

I have no knowledge of the 'Cleanup API Project', but I like the detail in the write up.
:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back