cooking steaks vs. frying smells

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have an "open plan" level where the kitchen is. I like a steak now and then. I get the best eating results from a very hot thick pan, but find the hot beef fat smell drifts and hangs around.

I can cook some things, like crispy bacon, in the fan oven (turned up very hot) but I tried that with a big ribeye yesterday, it took a long time and the middle was well done before the outside was browned (I prefer it fairly rare).

If I try a pan with a lid on it, the steak comes out wet and limp, which I don't like.

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
A mini extractor system

Small low level "hood" about 6 inches above the pan with flexible ducting to in-line fan and then more ducting to an open window and down to ground level ( or other wise ) so the smell does not blow back in through the window.

Point of extraction ( where duct joins hood ) should be over the pan otherwise splashes of fat are sucked beyond the edge of the pan and drop outside the pan.

Worked for garlic laced cooking, the ducting has to be changed frequently as it gets very greasy and cleaning is difficult.

h'mmm

I have an ordinary extractor hood venting through the cored wall, not sure if it is practical to do what you suggest in a domestic kitchen. Is that system used in restaurants now?

John

It is a portable unit, only used when necessary and in the cupboard/tool box when not needed.

I have seen low level hoods in commercial kitchens, These fold down from the wall behind the hobs when "very strong" odours are being cooked. But in most the normal extractor is powerful enough.

Have you thought of adding a temporary skirt to your extractor effectively lowering it to be closer to the hobs.

Sponsored Links
Lightly oil the steak, but don't oil the pan. And don't move the steak in the pan. This will minimise fumes.

I was in a steak house in Wyoming (cowboy country) a while ago. one of my chums said to the waitress "What would you recommend for me, I'm a vegetarian" the waitress replied "I'd recommend you get out of Wyoming, sir."

JohnD said:
I was in a steak house in Wyoming (cowboy country) a while ago. one of my chums said to the waitress "What would you recommend for me, I'm a vegetarian" the waitress replied "I'd recommend you get out of Wyoming, sir."

That's far too intelligent for an American!

JohnD said:
I have an "open plan" level where the kitchen is. I like a steak now and then. I get the best eating results from a very hot thick pan, but find the hot beef fat smell drifts and hangs around.

I can cook some things, like crispy bacon, in the fan oven (turned up very hot) but I tried that with a big ribeye yesterday, it took a long time and the middle was well done before the outside was browned (I prefer it fairly rare).

If I try a pan with a lid on it, the steak comes out wet and limp, which I don't like.

Any tips?

you like a steak the same as me JohnD. ;)

keeping the steak still, is good advice. i have often tried to replicate that hot skillet/griddle/broiler type steak, whereby the outside is nicely char-browned and tasty but the middle is juicy and rare.

no joy. hot thick iron is the only answer. but lots of smoke is a downside. a damn good extractor is the only way.

rob884 said:
JohnD said:

That's far too intelligent for an American!

Especially a waitress in Wyoming!

she was a big strong woman

from a certain angle she put me in mind of a horse.

I like my steak rare to medium rare.

Use a thick bottom cast iron griddle pan, get it very hot and as has been said lightly oil steak and do not move in pan.

OHHH I want one now :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back