Cooking costs with electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across a web site here which tries to compare cooking costs. Now I have noticed my new oven heats up far quicker than my old one and also stays hot longer after switch off. So clearly not all ovens are the same.
Since the oven has a 32A supply I can't test to see how much energy it uses. However it seems rather suspect to give how much a "Typical" oven uses as it is so variable.

I also fail to understand how one can Roast a chicken in a microwave? It would require some device to convert microwaves into radiant heat and I can't see how using something to convert the heat would be cheaper than doing directly with a cooker designed to roast items. If it was cook a chicken yes could understand how a microwave could be cheaper, but not to roast.

I see the point about excess water. However using a simple trivet food can be kept off the pan base and with a good fitting lid food can be cooked with very little water. I have a stand alone unit which can both steam and pressure cook, in both cases water used is very little.

I wonder what the microwave manufacturers pay the web site.

Sponsored Links
Since the oven has a 32A supply I can't test to see how much energy it uses
Clamp meter in the consumer unit?
I can read the wattage of the elements from the instruction book. However unless one sits in front of the oven with a stop watch switching it on every time the red heat lamp lights there is no way to work out what energy it uses.

Cooking prices are not easy even when using the same method to cook, I have four pressure cookers, two are same type just one bigger than the other, we did have a smaller physical size micro wave which would not take the larger pressure cooker. So we have two designed to go inside a micro wave, one designed to go on a hob and one stand alone type. The latter is easy you just enter time and it does it all for you, the micro wave one is also easy full power for what ever cook time, but the hot plate one needs the user to select the required energy level. Stand alone in new so not really tested, but the micro wave and hot plate type have been tested together at Christmas and took exactly the same time. Micro wave easy 850W but the hob starts off at 1.4 kW, but once boiling starts to cycle. The cycle mark/space ratio is important, mark being too long and power wasted and too short and temperature drops, and the user has a very small pressure release valve to work out heat required.

Now the stand alone is very different this has a temperature sensor in the centre bottom of the pot, and it auto adjusts the mark/space ratio to keep the food at around 165°C.

So compare the three types.
1) Micro wave has no control and the renewable plug matches its self to the micro wave, so must waste energy as the steam escapes as well as the micro wave being inefficient to start with. However if it runs out of water less harm done than with other two. It does not matter if micro wave is 600W or 1000W it still runs flat out for same amount of time give or take a couple of minutes as the pressure release valve adjusts its self to microwave. If used in a 1000W micro wave then a new pressure release module is required to return to using a smaller micro wave.
2) The hob has less insulation to the other two so must also waste heat, since it is an induction hob very little wasted else where, but it needs careful user control to get best results. Also one has to ensure it does not run short of water, so one tends to use too much.
3) Stand alone has a lot of insulation so less heat lost to the room, also more precise temperature control so needs less water adding, and likely uses less power then the other two. However also some disadvantages the main one is can't really put the pressure cooker in cold water when finished to remove the lid, it states do not immerse in water. But while waiting to cool it is still cooking so may be that's a good point. However it can only be used as a pressure cooker or steamer it is less versatile than the rest. Also although all three classed as pressure cookers the pressure is higher in the stand alone unit.

And we have not even started to talk about the food being cooked. Although the pressure cooker is likely the most efficient way to cook, it is a leap of faith working out the cook time, there is no opportunity to test the carrots before releasing the pressure. So the skill of the user is an important consideration.

Even the simplest of cooking, you have let your coffee go cold, three options, drink cold coffee, reheat in micro wave, pour into pan and re-heat on the hob. Forgetting about cold coffee the reheat on induction hob is likely the cheapest as micro wave only 60% efficient, however then the pan needs cleaning, which also uses power, so forgive me please if I use the micro wave?

unless one sits in front of the oven with a stop watch switching it on every time the red heat lamp lights there is no way to work out what energy it uses.
Apart from an energy monitor, of course.

Sponsored Links
i "roast" my beef and pork joints on 30 to 50% power
example 500-550g ham joint in a pyrex dish about 4 times the volume on 50% for 25 to 30 mins
http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/icel...-gammon-joint-with-a-honey-glaze-700g/p/50944
throw away the glaze and turn top to bottom every 7-10 mins

roast beef say 650 to 750g 30% for about an hour turn top to bottom every 10-12 mins
leave to cool and slice
if the center is a bit under cooked place the effected slices back in the pyrex dish in the juices with the reddest bits at the edges on 50% for about 10to 15 mins

the meat will not brown or crisp but iff you want crispy or brown the a formeman grill for about 6 to 8 mins works well

now i would not recommend this for a family but for one or 2 people where an oven is over the top consumption wise it works well

also with ham and roast beef as cold meats often costing between 10-£15 a kilo you can do a better quality less additives version for about 4-£6 a kilo

An 850w (output) microwave uses about 1.4Kw.

If you want cheap cooking costs use gas.

roast beef say 650 to 750g 30% for about an hour turn top to bottom every 10-12 mins
leave to cool and slice
if the center is a bit under cooked place the effected slices back in the pyrex dish in the juices with the reddest bits at the edges on 50% for about 10to 15 mins
Given that you can roast a joint that size in less time than that, and that it should bleed when you cut it, your method sounds disgusting to me.

Roast = cook (food, especially meat) by prolonged exposure to heat in an oven or over a fire. You can re-heat roasted meat or use another method to complete the cooking, but you can't roast in a micro wave. Cook yes but roast no.

I will admit I do cheat and roast potatoes are done in the pressure cooker then transferred to the deep fat fryer to finish them off. For re-heating the micro wave is great. And there are some foods which work well in micro wave scrambled egg works very well lovely and fluffy. However the food cooked in a micro wave is not cooked that way due to cost, but due to taste and texture and speed. A ready meal can be quickly re-heated and since designed for micro wave use the taste reasonable.

But although I would accept the taste and texture of a ready meal all day breakfast when in a hurry at home. If the same was served to me in a cafe I would reject it.

Cakes in a micro wave are to me a flop, I want the burn outer crust. Be it gas, solid fuel, electric or some extras like added steam each has it's advantages and disadvantages and that is without considering the cost. There is nothing to stop one making cold instant coffee with pre-boiled water but some like it hot!

leave to cool and slice
Given that you can roast a joint that size in less time than that, and that it should bleed when you cut it, your method sounds disgusting to me.
its trial and error
the object is to find an economic way to do it
if it comes out perfect thats fine if its slightly under cooked no big deal you just give it an extra 5 mins next time until it comes out perfect first time then you know the power consumption is enough but no more
the point i was making is the situation is easily recovered
"disgusting" is slaughtering animals in the first place but thats up to our conscience and how we feel about it :D

An 850w (output) microwave uses about 1.4Kw.

If you want cheap cooking costs use gas.
or perhaps an average 750 at 50% or perhaps 480w at 30% assuming the fan 'turntable motor and light use perhaps 100w
i have gas but a new cooker and pipework to the cooker point would never pay for its self

ok just measured it 900w output 1400w on and 44w off so 30 mins at 50% will consume 44x30=22wh+ 1356w for 15mins=339wh so 339+22=361wh or about 4.4p at 12p a unit so similar cost of 1-1.5kw off gas ??

Last edited:
roast beef say 650 to 750g 30% for about an hour.....
if the center is a bit under cooked..........
There is almost no such thing as undercooked beef sir.
technically thats correct
the worst bacteria on beef cannot penetrate the meat but if the meat has been pierced or scored before hanging the bacteria can spread to that point then when you cook that point must be higher than something like 60 or 65 degrees to kill the bacteria now that will still leave the meat red but safe
now the risk is minimal compared to chicken and pork and less aggressive but still worth remembering

Last edited:
Steak tartare - the meat minced up so that all the bacteria is thoroughly mixed in and on fresh surfaces to allow more growth, and raw egg.

What could possibly go wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back