Cool looking programable room thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Further to my other thread running, would anyone have any recommendations for a programable thermostat that looks cool?

What I am trying to do is replace a simple mechanical room thermostat (Danfoss RMT230) with a programable thermostat. But I would like one that looks cool - looks like a Hive or Nest type thing but without all the additional functionality. Preferably NOT white!

The current thermostat uses 230v and I don't want to have to rewire.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
He's looking at £30 tat on eBay, I doubt a decent thermostat is on the horizon ;).

Personally I'd put in a Lyric, but your fighting an uphill battle when form is more important than function.

OP, I'd having a word with your missus, because she'll be the first to complain when she's cold, and even if it was her idea to go cheap but pretty, it'll still be your fault she's cold.

Yep, good point, I should have mentioned budget. I'm quite happy to pay about £80 for something that works well AND looks good.

I'm not sure form and function need be mutually exclusive - if I'm trying to bring the look of the property up to date whilst decorating why not include the thermostat in that process? I've got brushed steel light switches and sockets, a little LED mood lighting here and there but all thermostats are plain boring white until you get into the realms of 'smart' thermostats (Hive, Nest, etc) - which I don't need the functionality of and I wouldn't be able to install myself. So the budget would need to be about £250.

The Lyric looks great and I'd even be tempted to push the budget - but again I don't think I know enough to install it. Our current thermostat is wired into a programmable timer which has wires going off all over the place. I would just like something I can wire in using the three existing wires. (Well, two as I can ignore one of them - I think).

I'm amazed none of the big manufacturers are doing something that will do this job. I'm certain I'm not the only person looking for an 'elegant' solution.

Mike.

I would just like something I can wire in using the three existing wires. (Well, two as I can ignore one of them - I think).

I'm amazed none of the big manufacturers are doing something that will do this job.

they are. but they won't cater for your unique aesthetic tastes. Buy a painting, and look at that.

so get a CM907 for £62 and learn to love it.

It's as good now as it was when it was the latest model.

You can paint it silver and black if you want. I'd take the casing off first though.

your unique aesthetic tastes.

So everybody who buys a Nest, Hive, Lyric etc are doing so purely because of the functionality they provide even though they hate the look? I don't think so.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. It would appear the answer to the original question is: No, nobody makes a modern looking, simple thermostat that can replace a 230v mechanical version using only the available wires (or a very simple alteration of).

The answer is yes they do , but the only person responsible for your tastes in ornaments is you.

The thermostat makers didn't know they were making ornaments.

So why do they make Nest, Hive, Lyric etc look the way they do? Why not just put them in a white box? I think the first Hive was a white box but they 'updated' its looks to improve sales.

Why are plug sockets and light switches available in so many finishes? Why can you get so many different light fittings? Why does paint come in colours other then magnolia? Work top in may different materials? Perhaps you hadn't noticed these things?

It's ok to want everything else in your house to look good but when it comes to thermostats it comes in any colour - as long as it's white? It doesn't make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back