Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
988828C2-AC34-4D56-B386-CAA3482D5C5D.png
5C700CEB-3ADF-4C58-8EBF-1BF063E7FBE1.jpeg
E76A3FDD-C155-48CF-A548-F8F074D8AC69.jpeg
86CC7439-C131-4CEE-A8EE-9CEA959E3F3D.jpeg
C9785A7C-9AF7-4827-9CDF-1A012F4781A7.jpeg
Hi everyone I’m looking to insulate my pipes for central heating and hot water they are copper and a combination of
15,22,28 inches, what is the best type of insulation I have seen rubber the traditional ones but I’ve also seen felt ones? Is it ok to use felt in areas of tight space? Like when the pipes are clipped onto the wall or is the rubber black ones best any help would be appreciated thank you

Sponsored Links
Also what’s the best think to tape the rubber insulation is normal duct tape ok? And for cold water tank sleeves how are they tied on do people use any string eg shoelace ? Thanks

Use the conventional split foam lagging, available in metre lengths and various diameters. The hessian type has to be slid on when the pipe ends are free.
I use duck tape or cable ties to secure it.
John :)

ok thanks for the advice how about when pipes are on wall bracketts getting the foam around bracket some times not enough room, also do you use duct tape to tape the joins and corners thanks

Sponsored Links
Offer the insulation up (slit facing you), mark on the foam where the clips are, cut a wee chunk out across the slit the height of the clip and the width of the tube plus a couple of mm. Stanley knife works well, the foam is stiff enough so it cuts.
On swept bends make sure the slit is not on the inside or outside of the bend and avoid sections ending on or near (100mm or so) a swept bend.
On acute bends, mitre the join.
Taping the joins- if you do neat cuts you won't need to. If you have to, use ally foil tape. Duct tape goes crispy after a few years, pvc insulating tape performs better when stuck to itself (full turns) which can be tricky if the tubes are tight to the wall.

Thank you can I also ask what people think about piping for central heating and hot water systems, I always prefer copper piping I just trust it more, but some people always use plastic maybe because it easier for them to install , what do people recommend I’m having some new pipe work done in copper thanks

Last edited:
Plastic has its place in the world- if you design for plastic (manifolds at central points rather than the traditional branches) it is cheap, can be run in by unskilled or semiskilled labour very quickly and avoids hot work. For additions to an existing copper system i prefer copper, especially if couplers, Ts etc are going to be inaccessible in walls or under floors.
Any visible pipework (rad drops usually) i prefer to see copper & def don't want to see plastic couplers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back