Copper pipe on wall outside my bro's flat

On an UV at 95 °C it would only vent the precharge pressure times the precharge volume..
Tony

You obviously forget how a T&P relief valve operates.............are you registered to fit unvented? (G3)

Sponsored Links
At the very least, could it not have made use of that drain at the bottom, rather than risk turning the planting into boiled cabbage...?

And if indeed the installer hasn't 'made good' the brickwork; that issue should probably be raised. If only to prevent water ingress and associated problems.

This random vertical copper pipe has appeared from the flat above running vertically in between my bro's bathroom and kitchen window.
In which case you would have thought that the flat above would emulate this layout and thus would have a drain point easily accessible. If this is the case it seems the 'solution' is a bit lazy to me.

Sponsored Links
You obviously forget how a T&P relief valve operates.............are you registered to fit unvented? (G3)

Yes, that was not totally correct.

If the pressure was normal and the valve had operated because the temperature had reached 95C then it would probably vent about 20% of its capacity.

Because of the way the heated water convects to the top it will only be the upper part of the cylinder which is at the 95C to open the safety valve so as soon as the slightly cooler water below reaches the valve then it will close again.

The reality is that a properly installed cylinder never reaches an unsafe temperature and the only time any water might be discharged would be when or if the expansion device does not adsorb the expansion during heatup when no water is being used.

Apart from the Megaflow when that can occur, on other makes which are correctly serviced each year it would not normally ever happen.

Tony

Yes, that was not totally correct.

If the pressure was normal and the valve had operated because the temperature had reached 95C then it would probably vent about 20% of its capacity.

Because of the way the heated water convects to the top it will only be the upper part of the cylinder which is at the 95C to open the safety valve so as soon as the slightly cooler water below reaches the valve then it will close again.

The reality is that a properly installed cylinder never reaches an unsafe temperature and the only time any water might be discharged would be when or if the expansion device does not adsorb the expansion during heatup when no water is being used.

Apart from the Megaflow when that can occur, on other makes which are correctly serviced each year it would not normally ever happen.

Tony

So you're saying a T&P valve will only operate when water temp exceeds 95k?.................are you forgetting the pressure side of valve? , if inlet water pressure exceeds set point of T&P the whole contents of hot water tank 'could' be discharged.........are you registered to fit unvented hot water cylinders?

Interesting discussion, especially since it is all based on the assumption the pipe is this or that.

Interesting discussion, especially since it is all based on the assumption the pipe is this or that.
And does it really matter? The internal installation is the concern of the other tenant, the only issues I would raise if I lived there are regarding the appearance, the hole, and the end / drain.

I like the way he's put extra clips in the middle bit, cos he didn't have a long enough ladder to get to the top bit. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back