Copper pipe under ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm digging footings for a single storey extension, about 800mm down i found a single copper pipe running through where i want to pour the concrete for the footings. Luckily i havnt broke the pipe as i noticed it just in time. Its a 15mm copper pipe what is this likely to be? its about 5ft away from the house.
Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Could be your water supply? Ours is copper, circa 1958.

Does it look like it is/was coated at all?

It looks like there was a pink paint on it as
there are pink traces on it.
The water is working fine in the house
and the pipes not leaking thank god.
I'm just not sure what to do with regards
to pouring the concrete footings around it

I would not pour concrete in direct contact with copper pipes. It needs protecting from direct contact to prevent future damage. You should ID the pipe before enclosing it. If it's gas then it will need re routing.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure it's not gas as that enters the houses at
the front, how can i find out what it is?
Thanks
Andy

I'm just not sure what to do with regards
to pouring the concrete footings around it
It's not usual for gas pipe to be run in copper, but you don't know who's bodged it. The depth is more common for water supply.

Open all the taps and outside taps on your property. Do you hear/feel water flowing in the pipe? Use a screwdriver on the pipe and hold up against your ear.

The best way to protect it would be split 100mm duct concentrically over the pipe and held in place with expanding foam (you may need to support the duct temporarily whilst the foam sets). Tape the duct before concreting. If you can't get a short length of split duct buy some cheap vent duct and slice down it with a saw.

It wont heat up(gentle heat from say a blow lamp) and retain its heat if there is water flowing through it. Exercise caution if you are doing it yourself. Does it point in any specific direction?

It'll be 1/2" soft copper water pipe, don't even think about leaving it under the footings because if you do it will come back to bite you.
Get it replaced with 25mm MDPE at least from the house to past the footings as although it's copper it's quite common for it to pinhole & leak, I'm not saying I'm an expert on this matter as I only spent 18 years working for the water company
:D

The pink traces you refer to is probably pure copper which may indicate that the soil is slowly etching the pipe away. My main was also soft copper and it developed a hole about 1cm diameter for no apparent reason. As Keego suggests, get it replaced asap, but first you need to identify where it comes from, where it goes and more importantly what it carries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back