Copper v PVC pipes`

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why are copper pipes more commonly being replaced with plastic?

Is it because pvc is better, or is it just for cost? Are copper pipes better to use?

Sponsored Links
Because it involves less/no skill to install it!
Copper is miles better in 99% of cases.

"In my honest opinion"

My personal opinion is that copper is better, mostly because I have concerns regarding the potential longevity of the joints. In simple terms, since the o-rings within pushfit connectors are presumably made from some kind of rubber or silicon compound, and we all know about leaks from ageing silicon around things like baths, and how rubber degrades over time, then what chance will something that has to undergo vibrations from water flow, changing pressures, plus variations of temperature (potentially from freezing up to maybe 70+ degrees C)have?

Couple that with plastic itself always becoming increasingly brittle with age.

I think that the life expectancy of plastic is highly questionable.

But others will no doubt differ and cite anecdotal evidence in support of this.

Sponsored Links
My Worcester boiler has expanding fittings which use an o-ring as a seal and they are fine. However if you remove the fitting you do need to relubricate it and of course a boiler has a shorter lifespan than piping should have.
That said plastic piping can be subject to more movement which could disrupt the o-ring seal causing it to leak after a while.

I leurvve the plastic pipe for snaking through underfloor spaces etc in one continuous length....but then I use compression fittings (with inserts) to form tight bends or tees.....I also make rad tails from copper, form the bend on them and then connect with compression straights. I guess we've each got our own way!
John :)

Not a heating engineer or even plumber by trade but I have done a lot of it for many years during the bath/shower room construction & renovation work I do; I will only ever use copper with soldered fittings.

Maybe regarded as old fashioned but I find the thought of nothing more than a collection of push fittings holding the lot together in some cases under quiet high pressures inherently worrying; & as for plastic pipe :confused: !

Why are copper pipes more commonly being replaced with plastic?

Is it because pvc is better, or is it just for cost?
what else would it be :LOL: NEVER buy a new build ... they just leave a bit of copper on show in cupboards etc. Rest is plastic . Unless any major housebuilders can prove me wrong :rolleyes:

seen too many plastic pipe`s blow their fitting`s due to poor workmanship
i alway`s use copper as it better designed for heating

Where its not seen plastic will be OK, will be better for frost situations as well. Dont use the plastic fittings to go with it though, use compression and Copper Olives if you really have to use plastic even though the plastic fittings say they can hold up to 10 bar. When I have pressure tested its more like 6-7 before they pop off, not really instill me with confidence! I much prefer Copper. Nothing beats a nice machine bend or soldered Endfeed fittings. Solder ring fittings are ugly, lazy and expensive!

Something's wrong of they're popping off at 6 bar, neds. Hep testing proceedure states 18 bar for one hour!

My personal opinion is that copper is better, mostly because I have concerns regarding the potential longevity of the joints. In simple terms, since the o-rings within pushfit connectors are presumably made from some kind of rubber or silicon compound, and we all know about leaks from ageing silicon around things like baths, and how rubber degrades over time, then what chance will something that has to undergo vibrations from water flow, changing pressures, plus variations of temperature (potentially from freezing up to maybe 70+ degrees C)have?

I did my sisters with Hep20 microbore Just after it was launched in early nineties. Its still there going strong.

I tend to use plastic out of sight and copper for the pretty bits

I did my sisters with Hep20 microbore Just after it was launched in early nineties. Its still there going strong.

I tend to use plastic out of sight and copper for the pretty bits

Do you get Hep in Pakistan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back