Cordless angle grinders, any good ?

Sponsored Links
Great if you are only cutting a few bolts off or similar. Not enough battery life for continuous use. Obvious, innit?

i have the dewalt yes its called a cut off tool i have cut 1x1/2" bar no probs but off course its slow
great for raking out pointing

Thieves use them for cutting locks off to gain access to property.

Sponsored Links
I had the Ryobi one with the nicad battery's and it was useless to be honest. If I bought one again I would go for a Bosch as I already own an 18v combi drill and could use the same battery's

I had the Ryobi one with the nicad battery's and it was useless to be honest. If I bought one again I would go for a Bosch as I already own an 18v combi drill and could use the same battery's

did you use ultra thin discs :?: :?:

The ryobi with the 2.4 Ah lithiums (as many as you like) is as good as any other cordless

Use the ultra-thin metal blades and they are great. But even for gutting a few tiles up on the roof, they are good with a diamond blade too

As always, they are not anywhere near as good as a corded grinders in a straight comparison. But when you need a cordless for the quick or awkward job, no corded grinder can match them

The ryobi with the 2.4 Ah lithiums (as many as you like) is as good as any other cordless

that was my next port off call :D :D
like the circular saw and router the angle grinder need a good battery that will hold its charge well
batteries as they age drop the volts[power] quicker
a good new battery will start at 100% and every year loose between 10 and 25% capacity so after around 3 years some batteries are around 40% power others will be nearer 80%
of course some makes will be worse or better but as a guide
for this exercise you will need the battery on around 60% to have a useful time with that battery so any battery thats a bit old and well used will not function well for long

as an aside
"DO NOT" put nicads on charge after using heavy draw tools as they will still have many hours charge in them so "step them down" and power a drill/jigsaw/screwdriver then you can further step down to radio light fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back