Cordless drill battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum but here goes.
I have a Makita cordless drill with two spare batteries which I've had for about five years. I cane to use it the other day and it went flat really quickly, I then put both batteries in the charger and they fully charged very quickly so I used my drill again and the batteries went flat within 1minute of usage. I then measured the voltages for both batteries which both read 14.4v which is what they are supposed to read yet they are almost flat????
Any ideas please as to why this is?

Sponsored Links
Your batteries are knackered. You'll get 5 years at best from a drill battery.

they should start at around 20% over volt for a 1hr charge at around 17v

you can try several charges/ discharges over several hours or days day but doubt you will have any lasting joy as at 3 years plus your battery will loose power/capacity gradually with age

If they're NiCad batteries, you might improve them by repeatedly charging and then fully discharging (watch they don't get hot) but if they're NiMH you can't do anything other than replace them.
I just had to replace the NiMH batteries on my Makita, which must be 15 years old, but then I tried a new drill with LI-Ion batteries, and was blown away by the extra power from the newer drill.
Cheapo Chinese batteries for your 5 year old drill might cost £10 each, whereas a new drill, with charger, can be had for not much more. I now have a Makita 18V hammer drill/driver for the heavy stuff, which was £130 last year,and a Bosch professional 10.8V drill/driver (£70) for general use. Only one battery with each, but I can't think of any job that can't wait for a 20 minute tea break while the battery charges!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies

The batteries are nicad. May well try and improve them by charging and discharging to get me by for now but still don't understand why they're reading over 14v when apparently flat?

Anyone recommend a reputable site to get replacements?
Thanks

Presumably you're measuring with a high impedance multimeter, which doesn't put any significant load on the battery. If you put a load (e.g. a car taillight bulb) across the battery and then measure the voltage you'll get something much lower. This is because the internal resistance of the batter has increased.

Genuine Makita batteries for my old drill were around £80. A new drill of the same model, with 2 batteries and a charger, was £119.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back