What is wrong with these rechargeable batteries please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our cordless home phone has a base and three cordless handsets.

All works well with two handsets, so phone and base ok I suppose.

But on one handset, the batteries would not charge, yet put on a different charger the batteries
show full voltage and my multimeter says the same. I replaced those batteries and all three phones work now.

What is wrong with these two AAA rechargables please.

Sponsored Links
Battery’s only have a certain amount of times they can be charged and will slowly degrade, if they are new then I would be asking the same question if you have had them for a few years then I would say why even ask that question just chuck them and replace.

Thank you for replying, the batteries are about a year old (I think). Your comment "Why not chuck them" is relevant and I will but I am curious. Is it something to do with good voltage yet no amps? Keep it simple please.
Best
Alan

Sponsored Links
The phone that had the worst batteries is probably the one that you used least.
Rechargeable batteries need to be used frequently to keep them conditioned.
Left on charge and doing little or no work gradually degrades them to the point where they will show full voltage but have no ability to supply current

Thank you for replying, the batteries are about a year old (I think). Your comment "Why not chuck them" is relevant and I will but I am curious. Is it something to do with good voltage yet no amps? Keep it simple please.
Best
Alan

I've seen motorcycle batteries showing 12.8v (good) open circuit voltage but fail completely under load so just testing the voltage is not the be all and end all.

Our cordless home phone has a base and three cordless handsets.

All works well with two handsets, so phone and base ok I suppose.

But on one handset, the batteries would not charge, yet put on a different charger the batteries
show full voltage and my multimeter says the same. I replaced those batteries and all three phones work now.

What is wrong with these two AAA rechargables please.

I think its the nature of the cordless phone chargers -we have the same problem. The batteries barely last a year, which I think is because the phones stay on their cradles constantly trickle charging. We hardly ever use the landline anyway, especially the not the bedroom handset

as an aside
i never plug in remote charging stations there is no need to they just consume unessisery power not a lot i grant you but worth saving
you just rotate them in turn on the base station and dependant on battery capacity this could be every four or five days this off course will get less as the batteries age perhaps down to every two or three days

i never plug in remote charging stations there is no need to they just consume unessisery power not a lot i grant you but worth saving .... you just rotate them in turn on the base station and dependant on battery capacity this could be every four or five days this off course will get less as the batteries age perhaps down to every two or three days
I tried that a few years ago, since it seemed like a good and 'clever' idea, but had to abandon the approach because I (or others) kept on forgetting to do the rotation!

Kind Regards, John

All these useful and different comments. You have all cleared this up for me. Thank you so much.
Alan

New batteries did it immediately. I was just curious as to what happens. Forums are so good, people giving advice out of the goodness of their hearts.
Alan

With the old lead acid battery I was reasonably clued up. But as we went to NiCad then NiMh and others the whole thing changed. If we look at a lap top battery there is complex electronics in the battery to stop over charging, even the AA cell today can have electronics
330px-Lithium_Ionen_Akku_%C3%9Cberwachungselektronik.jpg
to control charging built into the cell. The problem with the AAA and AA cells is they have been around for a long time, so you have the full range from NiCad to lithium which all fit our devices, there was a one point a rechargeable 1.5 volt alkaline as well at the more normal 1.2 to 1.3 volt cells.

I know I had a phone in my mothers bedroom which was regularly knocked off the cradle, it would not charge when I came to it, I swapped one battery and it started to charge, then swapped back and it continued to charge, however we would get pips sounding from the base. Over some two months it has started to behave itself and now works A1. I will guess there is some anti-reverse fitting protection which to start with stopped it recharging but unless one does some reverse engineering you really have no idea what is in the cell.

With the old NiCad cell it was stored discharged after manufacture, however once activated it could grow crystals which would internally short it out, so you then had to keep it charged so if a crystal did grow it would be burnt off, there were a few methods used to try and remove crystals however today that is no longer possible as we have no idea of the electronics included.

So with AA cells I find them marked between 700 mAh to 2.8 Ah there may be even bigger ones now. The old charger was designed for around 1.2 Ah and it had a timer which switched off after a set time. So fit a set of 2.8 Ah cells and as long as the cells are not fully discharged all works A1, as far as the charger knows the cell is between zero and full but in fact the cell is between 60% and 100%. Once it goes below 60% the charger will switch off before fully charged. Not fully recharging will in the long term damage the cell. However if only made flat once in a couple of months, then each time it is used and put back on charge it will gain a little extra, so will return to fully charged.

So my camera with a special battery not a problem, the manufacturer knows what is in the battery, Nikon did a firmware upgrade on some of their cameras which stopped you using 3rd party batteries. But in your phone the manufacturer does not have a clue what battery is fitted, so if they use a very low trickle charge they are reasonable safe, but put any system to limit the recharge the software in battery and software in phone may not work together.

So to basics four ways to charge rechargeable AA and AAA batteries.
1) Trickle charge no control.
2) Higher rate of charge with timer.
3) Higher rate of charge with temperature sensor.
4) Delta-V
I am not sure if Delta V will work with modern batteries, idea was at a constant current the voltage will raise to a peak then drop again, the charger detected the voltage was falling again and auto switched off once detected.
The temperature is still a reasonable method, again constant current, while electrical energy is turned into chemical energy there is very little heat, but once that is complete the temperature will raise. I still use that with a general AA battery charger, if battery is warm, then assume fully charged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back