What is wrong with these rechargeable batteries please

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to be, but there are folk on here you will use 1,000 words when 10 will be more than enough.
After a while you ignore these as you CBA to read a thesis every day.

Thank you Taylortw etc. I gathered this, but how can you criticise when people are trying to help? I started a thread on a science forum, asking a question
which I still have not had an actual answer to although a "scuffle" on the thread started, nothing to do with me. I still have not had an answer that actually relates to my question and I am going to put it on this forum in an hour or so to see if I get anywhere. The thread will be called "Low volts high volts big amps little amps. I hope all of you had a pleasant Easter.
Alan

It's under the forum of Hobbies by the way and just in case you might want to have a peek and help. Alan

Sponsored Links
.... which I still have not had an actual answer to although a "scuffle" on the thread started, nothing to do with me. I still have not had an answer that actually relates to my question ...
I'm not sure what question you mean. In the very first reesponse to your initial question, I said that it was probably simply a matter of a dead battery, and plenty of others have subsequently agreed.

If your difficulty is in understanding how a battery can have an apparently satisfactory voltage between its terminals (when no load is connected to it) and yet not been able to supply any significant current, that has also been answered.....

Even in terms of brand new batteries, it's been pointed out to you that 8 x AA batteries would have a measured voltage across them of about 12V yet would not even make an attempt to start your car. With dead/dying rechargeable batteries, it's very possible for them to have a reasonable voltage between their terminals when measured without a load, but that measured voltage would fall to near zero if you applied just a small load to the battery.

Water is often used as an analogy for electrical things. Voltage is analogous to pressure (e.g. a 'head of water') and current is analogous to flow of water. Imagine a high-up tank full of water with an almost completely 'furred up' pipe descending from it to ground level. If you measured the pressure at the bottom with no water flowing, you would see a pressure roughly what you would expect from the height of the tank (since with no flow there would be no pressure drop). However, if you attempted to draw water from the bottom of that pipe (e.g. into a washing machine), you would get very little flow, and if you measured the pressure at the bottom whilst you were trying to draw water, that pressure would now be extremely low. A 'dead' rechargeable battery still has the 'pressure' (voltage), but it so 'furred up' that it can provide little, if any, 'flow' (current).

Does that help you at all?

Kind Regards, John

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/low-volts-high-volts-big-amps-little-amps.500624/

I think he means this one John

Hello All

I am trying to understand this so could a kind someone show me a diagram, a simple circuit where I could use say a 1.5 and a 9 volt battery to explain the principle of high and low voltage against big and little amps. I have a set of 1.5v batteries, showing full voltage but little or no current is passing. Not to tecky please, I have a multimeter, some leds, resistors and a few other bits and pieces.

Regards

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/low-volts-high-volts-big-amps-little-amps.500624/#ixzz5BdebezGi

I think he means this one John ...
I presume he does, and I have now responded to it in that other forum. However, he posted that message more-or-less at the same time that he was saying here that his question had not been answered, so I presumed he was referring to a question in this thread!

Kind Regards, John

I've got lots of video clips to watch, re your links. I am learning thanks to your kindness.
Best
Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back