Cordless Drill that can drill through brick for ~£100?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i'm wanting to replace my dad's B&D D520 drill (which is decades old and does 900/2400RPM) with a cordless drill. It still works perfectly btw.

Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for £100 ish or lower is possible.

The drills i have been looking at are around 1700RPM, are those fast enough? Technology may have changed over the past few decades since he got his drill, maybe drills can be as powerful at a lower RPM?

Hope you can name some model numbers of drills that can drill through brick well, metal, wood etc.

Sponsored Links
Just about any drill can drill through anything with the correct bit.

Hi guys, i'm wanting to replace my dad's B&D D520 drill which is decades old which does 900/2400RPM with a cordless drill. It still works perfectly btw.

Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for £100 ish or lower is possible.

The drills i have been looking at are around 1700RPM, are those fast enough? Technology may have changed over the past few decades since he got his drill, maybe drills can be as powerful at a lower RPM?

Hope you can name some model numbers of drills that can drill through brick well, metal, wood etc.

if you take 2 drill off identical output one at 24000rpm and one off 16000 rpm
the 16 will be 50% more powerful but 33% slower
if the main use off the drill is big holes then you want the more powerful slower drill
or if the main use is 8mm holes in wood then the higher speed is more efficient

Sponsored Links
i've been looking at these:

MAKITA BHP452Z LI-ION 18V CORDLESS COMBI DRILL BODY - £100 inc replica Li-on battery (£45).
Draper 40765 Li-on - £55
AEG 18V COMBI-DRILL BSB18GLI - £104 delivered
AEG 18V COMBI DRILL BSB 18G NC-142C - £79.80-84 delivered (ni-cd)
AEG 18V BSB18GNC - £96 delivered (ni-cd)

the last drill looks very powerful:

Voltage: 18 Volt.
No load speed: 0-450/0-1,600 /min.
Chuck: 13 mm.
Max torque: 64 Nm.
Drilling Capacity:
Wood: 38 mm.
Metal: 13 mm.
Masonry: 16 mm.
Weight: 2.6 kg.
Complete with 2 x 1.4Ah 18V NiCD batteries, fast charger and carry case.

I know it only has Ni-CD batteries but my dad isn't a builder so he won't be using it too often and it comes with 2 batteries.

the missus has the Bosch 14.4 lion drill and im very impressed with it the only problems are the 10mm chuck capcity and the lack of a carry case it does however come supllied in the moulded plastic tray to go in a bosch l-box case.
I have the 18 volt Makita lion drill that screfix where selling for £149 with the one 3.0ah battery and i can recommed it excellent quality for the price.

£130 and £150 are too expensive, i know the more expensive ones are better but i can't afford that.

i've been looking at these:

MAKITA BHP452Z LI-ION 18V CORDLESS COMBI DRILL BODY - £100 inc replica Li-on battery (£45).
Draper 40765 Li-on - £55
AEG 18V COMBI-DRILL BSB18GLI - £104 delivered
AEG 18V COMBI DRILL BSB 18G NC-142C - £79.80-84 delivered (ni-cd)
AEG 18V BSB18GNC - £96 delivered (ni-cd)

the last drill looks very powerful:

Voltage: 18 Volt.
No load speed: 0-450/0-1,600 /min.
Chuck: 13 mm.
Max torque: 64 Nm.
Drilling Capacity:
Wood: 38 mm.
Metal: 13 mm.
Masonry: 16 mm.
Weight: 2.6 kg.
Complete with 2 x 1.4Ah 18V NiCD batteries, fast charger and carry case.

I know it only has Ni-CD batteries but my dad isn't a builder so he won't be using it too often and it comes with 2 batteries.

That specification is a con. The AEG model with 64Nm power is the BSB18 not BSB18G.

I bought one from TJ Hughes for £62 when they were clearing out stock after christmas. Even on Amazon they have the wrong newton metre specification but this is the model;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AEG-OBSB18N...TG9K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1307371592&sr=8-7

Despite what Amazon say this is the more powerful model.

Here is the AEG page.

http://www.aeg-powertools.co.uk/product/detail/cordless-systems/18v-power/bsb-18-bsb18

The AEG BSB18 is quite a heavy cordless though but was amazing value for the price I paid but if I had £200 to spend it would have been something different.

I've got nothing against the BSB18G but I think the Makita and Bosch models available for similar money are better. However the BSB18 gets a strong recommendation if you can get it anywhere near £100. Its very powerful and also has a 3 year warranty but its pretty large and heavy especially if you get the nicad model like me. However even if you get the nicad model it the drill and charger are still lithium-ion compatible so you can just buy a li-on battery pack later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back