Cordless system with "fake battery" adapter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do any of the cordless tool systems have a way of using them when all your batteries are flat? eg. a "fake" battery that contains an 18v transformer and a long mains cable?

Sponsored Links
My BiL, who has a couple of boats and a motorhome, takes all my old cordless tools and runs them off a wander lead on the vehicle battery. These are tools that would otherwise be binned when the battery or charger fails. he solders on connections. He says they accomodate voltage fluctuations, but they are essentially free and don't need to last long.

Do any of the cordless tool systems have a way of using them when all your batteries are flat? eg. a "fake" battery that contains an 18v transformer and a long mains cable?

Yes Dewalt have such a device.....
Available in 240v or 110v.

ae235

ae235

It just means that where power is available, you have the option.
Personally I rarely use 110v. The lack of power and lugging a transformer around are the big cons.
Dewalt also do 110v chargers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks! I see that's quite an expensive item. I like the idea of making one's own adapter from old batteries.

My BiL, who has a couple of boats and a motorhome, takes all my old cordless tools and runs them off a wander lead on the vehicle battery. These are tools that would otherwise be binned when the battery or charger fails. he solders on connections. He says they accomodate voltage fluctuations, but they are essentially free and don't need to last long.
I wonder how much current they draw at 18v?

Why not just buy a second battery? Probably the cheaper option.

If you do decided to DIY one, you will need an old battery for the housing anyway, and then you will need a suitable transformer and circuitry to step down from 230v to 18v

I already have 2 batteries. Sometimes if one is doing intensive work (or has been careless with charging regimes!) one can get stuck. I had naively assumed that a mains adaptor would only be about £20 or so, so a useful insurance policy, but I was wrong!

A battery seems to hold just 27Wh. I wonder if one could assume it will last 30mins continuous so I’d need to find about 50W transformer? So just 3A? That’s not too bad. But it’s odd that the mains powered tools (eg jigsaw) tend to be about 700W!

Hi Big all
I was interested in the 10.8 adaptor for a moment, and then I read the spec and its not for power tools its for usb charging or things with low draw.

Hi Big all
I was interested in the 10.8 adaptor for a moment, and then I read the spec and its not for power tools its for usb charging or things with low draw.
ahh must admit i wondered how 2x3.6 cells would give out 10.6v without any visible electronics :?:

thanks for the helpful correction(y)

a 2ah battery holds 2x18x60=2160w
so 10 mins at say 216w or 3 mins 720w knock off perhaps 10% for losses so perhaps 650w

you would need a 25-30 amp source or around 450w output for this drill as an example
https://products.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DCD795M2/
look at specification its 370w output
That's a lot! I think this idea is a non-starter for me.... It's cheaper just to buy a mains version and a battery powered version if I've too much charge anxiety!

Although, hang on a minute, why are you multiplying by 60? Surely the battery capacity is just 2 x 18 = 36Wh. If that's all gone in 10 mins, then that would be 36 * 60/10 = 218W. My thought of a separate transformer supplying the fake battery at low voltage is a bit of a non-starter, as we're looking at about 20A.

Still, fun trying to work it out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back