core drill for soil pipe

J

jeepster

hi, will a 127mm core drill be wide enough for a soil pipe. moving our loo so need to cut a hole in the external wall.

as i am only drilling the one, would you hire a core drill or buy a cheap 127mm bit and use a standard drill or buy a diamond tipped one and use that with a standard drill.

i appreciate that they can snag, but if we take it easy, and clean out the dust at intervals it may not jam.

Sponsored Links
I used a 127mm core drill for a 100mm soil pipe and it worked a treat. You will get some slight extra clearance, but it is only slight.

I used a standard SDS drill (without the hammer action) and bought a core drill for the job. (cost about £20 only).
Don't underestimate the time it takes to go through a standard masonry cavity wall, so make yourself comfortable.
I think a bog standard 'chucked' drill may overheat, given the time it will be running. Also you need a bit of extra torque.

You definitely need a drill with a clutch on it. If the core bit snags, you'll break your wrist. Best to hire both the core bit and a drill to put it in. ;) ;)

can anyone recommend a cheap sds drill thats got a clutch, only need it for 2 core drill holes. but may come in handy for other stuff

Sponsored Links
I use a sds drill without a clutch with no problems.

Just take it slow, and don't grip it like a madman, don't press hard, and let the core bit do the work

hi, we are re arranging our ensuite bathroom, ( added as part of extension last year)

i have removed floor boards and located supply pipes.

i was going to do the job myself, but got quotes from plumbers ranging from £150 to £300.

Max 1 days work for a plumber.
any how got call last night price has gone up by £40 because of cost of soil pipe so will be doing myself now.

if you stitch drill the hole, what size drill would you use, 10-15mm would give a good neat job i guess.

do you have to have rodding points on a soil pipe to satisfy building control. was going to put one on bottom of soil pipe and one on bend where pipe bends through the wall into the loo.

I'd suggest at least a 10mm bit. Anything smaller and the drill bit can veer off-line due to the flexibility of the bit. Assuming you're using a 300mm long bit to go through both skins.

In the past I've used a combination of core drill to start and have a neat edge for the 'exit' hole. Then after at least 25mm I've stitched drilled, then busted it out with the SDS on hammer only.
It's much quicker than core drilling all the way through.

hi, thought about using a core drill to start with as you suggest to get a good finish, then drill the remainder of the facing brick with a drill. then core drill the blockwork from inside.

just one question, the part of the waste pipe that goes into the soil stack is approx 300mm long, we are going to extend that by 800mm.

does a 92.5mm join fitted to the soil stack give enough fall. sorry if i sound like a total diyer but ( i am).

does a soil stack have to have rodding points to satisfy building control

if your only planning on doing once in a blue moon.

you can hire the whole kit with a range of diamond core drills from hire shops, like hss hire.. for not alot of money.

hi, spent about 5k at travis perkins last year and have one of their discount cards. problem is that the hole needs cutting about 10ft above ground so as i havent used a core drill before not sure if its safe to use one on a ladder.

Not really, if it jams, clutch or no clutch, you'd probably go flying.

I wouldn't use an SDS with a long bit or a chisel on a ladder, either.

Beg, borrow, or hire a small platform to work off.

hi, spent about 5k at travis perkins last year and have one of their discount cards. problem is that the hole needs cutting about 10ft above ground so as i havent used a core drill before not sure if its safe to use one on a ladder.

cant you drill from the inside?

hi, would drill from inside but dont want to blow the front of the brick.

probably going to core the first 10mm then stitch drill the rest , then core the inside.

would use a tower, but the space is limited to 1m,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back