Core hole - carry on or hammer action and bash through?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a core hole with diamond core bit, 52mm. Going through 8" of solid brick.

Been at it for an hour and only about 2 inches through.

At what point do you give up and put in a chisel bit and smash through? Do most trades just carry on until completion, or they call it off after a certain point?

Sponsored Links
Doing a core hole with diamond core bit, 52mm. Going through 8" of solid brick.

Been at it for an hour and only about 2 inches through.

At what point do you give up and put in a chisel bit and smash through? Do most trades just carry on until completion, or they call it off after a certain point?

Something not right there, are you using SDS?

Sponsored Links
Not sure how hard you are pushing but try going a little softer and slower, you are trying to find the sweet spot of speed, pressure and material.

Bit is going to be knackered now.

I'd have mine on hammer action and clearing the waste out of the core every inch or so

Your 'normal' drill prob isn't designed for coring (my old Atlas isn't)- you need to run at low revs otherwise the core bit overheats. Be v careful especially if you're up a ladder- if the bit jams in the hole and drill has no clutch you get a lot of torque trying to spin you round....
As above make sure the core bit isn't grounding on what you've already cleared, pull chunks out frequently, let drill and bit cool off every so often

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back