corgi periodic checking of gas work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as an independant corgi write and state that they want to see examples of my gas work, when i used to work at bg no one i knew ever had one and
i am seeing more and more problems with bg why dont corgi inspect bgs 5000 gas engineers

Sponsored Links
They aren't corgi registered are they? They didn't used to be anyway. Sort of like the Divine Right of Kings for gas work.

Well anyway the man who tought me was a walking fitter with them for 20 years before he went alone 7 or so years ago. He always said they if you ask a BG man if you can see his corgi card he can't show you it because he isn't corgi registered.

I do hope that situation has changed. Not fair on us for them to have special privilages.

I am dead against them and manufacturers' engineers doing Govvy jobs by the way if that wasn't implicit.

The government has forced us into huge personal expense so we can carry on earning the same or less money, and when we find the rug taken away from our feet by the Govvy weekender we just feel great. They have no insurance nmo corgi registration for that work, no ability to notify haven't had to dig deep into their personal coffers to retrain and purchase expensive equipment and joint hundreds of thousands of self certification schemes at the whim of power hungry empire building white collars.

Paul Barker said:
Well anyway the man who tought me was a walking fitter...
Walking? What other types are there? Lying, crawling, sitting?

Aparently they were dropped off at the job with a bundle of pipe and a swag back with their fittings in swinging from the end, and a bag of hand tools (BG had no insurance for power tools back then).

They all used to meet in the cafe first, the best story at the cafe was of a bloke who was dropped at the job, he rang the doorbell and noone was in, there was a dog barking at him from the other side. He waited a while then thought, I know I'll go back to the cafe, so he thought he would just push his pipe through the letter box and then he would only have the swag bag to carry.

The customer eventually got up or got home or something, only to find the dog impaled on the pipe up against the wall.

He porided himself on being able to do the job with the least tools possible, since that's what he had to do as a walking fitter. I also use my footprint as a hammer and such like. It's quicker to use what you have in yopur hand than to go back to the van for the correct tool. He used to always praise me if I ever used the incorrect tool to get the job done instead of wasting time with trips to the van.

No he hasn't bought an analyser yet, and when I was with him though he had a battery pistol drill it was never used.

I never saw him fail to diagnose and fix a boiler.

Sponsored Links
Before I had a van I used to go to jobs on my bicycle (still do occasionally, if I know I won't need many tools), strapping tube along the cross bar. It worked fine until I strapped a couple of lengths of 22mm on. Then when I got up speed the pipe ends started oscillating and the bicycle became uncontrollable!

I had a bmw that used to do that, I once got into such a bad tank slapper I thought my number was up. The solution it turned out was to open the throttle and power out of it, last thing you would think of.

Myth buster, Boxer BMW's are nothing like as good as the comic's used to state back in the 70's, give me a GS750 any day of the week.

when i was an apprentice copper was only to be used by the lowest of the low[plumbers]never touched it only at college,one of them used to use a bicycle with panniers which held all his tools and bits and bobs we used to put iron fittings in the panniers to slow him down,when he caught on he was not a happy bunny :LOL: as far as tools were concerned it was a criminal offence to use a screwdriver as a chisel or a stillson as a hammer punishable by a right hand to the jaw my jaw still aches on cold mornings :oops:when we needed the odd fitting/flange they used to send me on my elsie to get them sometimes you could not keep the front wheel down with the weight lovely stuff :LOL:

the plumbing miracle said:
as an independant corgi write and state that they want to see examples of my gas work, when i used to work at bg no one i knew ever had one and
i am seeing more and more problems with bg why dont corgi inspect bgs 5000 gas engineers

well you know the qae who used to come and watch you on a job 4 times a year and post complete inspect a number of your jobs through the year, give you monthly safety and update briefings and *******ings plus the external company who randomly check jobs constantly through the year. Plus your lead engineer who watches and assists ( ;) ) on a set number of jobs in the year as does your field manager. Well basically they take the place of the corgi inspector.

well bg are a law unto themselves,monitoring of gas installers is supposed to be independent[reason for corgis existence]but bg get to keep their dirty washing in house not in the public domain like the rest of us mere mortals,having worked/subbed to bg i know and have seen some of their diasters that are cleaned up and sorted before the sh1te hits the fan,but hopefully the other thread will become public and show them up for what they really are

bripl said:
well bg are a law unto themselves,monitoring of gas installers is supposed to be independent[

It is both internal and external, if you are a subbie you hold your own corgi number and should be checked by corgi. It is only recently that installers have come under the same scrutiny as the service / breakdown side though.Also you would not believe what needs to be followed now and the new enforcements being introduced following recommendations from the oxford incident.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back