Corgi

I did'nt realise what a can of worms i was opening with this topic.

As to the reply from corgi, if you think about it what else can they say, because how are they ever going to find out. If you do your own DIY gas and get away with it then it is almost impossible for them to find out. I dare say that unless there was a death involved, you would probably get away with it even if you blew your house up. The only thing they are interested in is stinging the people who they can catch for lots of money every year.

Sponsored Links
who said anything about scotland?
all i am saying is that the above definition was cited in a legal case against our firm where the client insisted that a report was done by a chartered engineer as against the graduate who was programmed in to do the work.

joe-90 said:
He who pays the piper calls the tune. The average Corgi cartel worker in an uneducated manual worker. Live with it.
FYI, Corgi is a breed of dog, and "is" is not spelt "in" - probably best to get your own gramatical house in order before you decide exactly how educated, relatively, and on average, a CORGI engineer is likely to be.

dabaldie said:
ok may have been explianed but when topics. get so long they become pointless.
Does that include this posting of yours?

dabaldie said:
ok this is for a structural inspection, but is enforceable under law as a definition.
Could you explain why you believe this to be true?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
joe-90 said:
He who pays the piper calls the tune. The average Corgi cartel worker in an uneducated manual worker. Live with it.
FYI, Corgi is a breed of dog, and "is" is not spelt "in" - probably best to get your own gramatical house in order before you decide exactly how educated, relatively, and on average, a CORGI engineer is likely to be.

That was a typo you sad man.

BTW what are you babbling about 'relatively' for? It will only highlight your lack of knowledge if you use the wrong word in the wrong place.

Oh and the word, 'exactly' isn't required.

It's called 'padding' and is the cardinal sin of grammar.

joe

allgoom said:
As to the reply from corgi, if you think about it what else can they say, because how are they ever going to find out. If you do your own DIY gas and get away with it then it is almost impossible for them to find out. I dare say that unless there was a death involved, you would probably get away with it even if you blew your house up.
What's the origin of this mistaken belief that CORGI is there to catch people? Does anyone have an example of CORGI policing installations?

I took it that the Building Inspector is there to detect illegal and/or incorrect installations - am I in a minority with this belief? As for work that isn't an installation, why are so many people insisting that it's dangerous and that there's something you can "get away with"?

allgoom said:
The only thing they are interested in is stinging the people who they can catch for lots of money every year.
Of course that's what CORGI is interested in - why is this seen as a bad thing? CORGI is a business, not a charity - do you criticise other businesses for having a commercial approach to making a profit?

Softus said:
CORGI is a business, not a charity - do you criticise other businesses for having a commercial approach to making a profit?

Most governing bodies are charities. They have no self-interest.

It's time to scrap Corgi.

BTW the breed of dog would be written 'corgi' unless that was the name of the dog which would then be called 'Corgi'. I just can't be arsed to capitalise the thing.

Gedditt?

I'll keep it brief:
joe-90 - you remind me of someone who made various posts in Screwfix says how clever he was with all his properties and how he had fitted his own boiler etc. He even went on to post a link to a portfolio of photographs of his work. After numerous faults, building regulation violations etc. were pointed out, he removed them within days. Someone reported him to Building Control . He says he got a CORGI person to check it afterwards but then like you say you pay the money and they do the job. Look closely at the signature on the certificate just in case it says M Mouse.
Paying someone else to do the job - isn't that what Mr van Hoogstraten was accused of?
And if it goes wrong they'll adopt the "Nuremburg" defence - they were only doing what they were told.

B-A-S - Oi! I posted the "DIY Gas disasters" link earlier. Shows you how much notice people take :(

Softus - I've owned "investment" property since 1983. I have had a bit of practice at being a landlord and doing property repairs ;)

allgoom - this is what Softus and I agreed several pages back. You will not be seen to be incompetent unless the work goes wrong. My argument is that just because the work doesn't go wrong does not make you competent.

joe-90 said:
It will only highlight your lack of knowledge if you use the wrong word in the wrong place.
The term "uneducated" is relative, not absolute, which you would have known if you had been relatively well educated.

BobProperty said:
Softus - I've owned "investment" property since 1983. I have had a bit of practice at being a landlord and doing property repairs ;)
I stand corrected, however...

And Softus, I want to be a property developer when I'm older, so I'm just practicing negotiating down the prices of houses.

joe-90 said:
Most governing bodies are charities. They have no self-interest.
CORGI is no more a governing body than you're a rational person.

joe-90 said:
BTW the breed of dog would be written 'corgi'
There there, joe, yes of course it would. And you're so right about a great many things, after all.

Softus said:
BobProperty said:
I stand corrected, however...

And Softus, I want to be a property developer when I'm older, so I'm just practicing negotiating down the prices of houses.

Being pedantic that was strictly logically correct wasn't it? :D

In future I intend to renovate to sell not to rent out, although I am now considering Holiday Lets.

BobProperty said:
I'll keep it brief:

allgoom - this is what Softus and I agreed several pages back. You will not be seen to be incompetent unless the work goes wrong. My argument is that just because the work doesn't go wrong does not make you competent.

Er, if the work does not go wrong then it must have been done competently, hence making the person who did the work competent

BobProperty said:
Being pedantic that was strictly logically correct wasn't it? :D
I walked right into that one :eek:
I'm still enjoying your postings Bob...

Er, if the work does not go wrong then it must have been done competently, hence making the person who did the work competent
ok put a time scale on that.
a
registered person can surely guarantee the work for a 'design' life
if it goes wrong in 15 years time was that person therefore 'incompetent'
you must therefore include a 'reasonable' element into the term..and that is another issue... :p

ok. put this to the point...
if i do some work in my house and it doesnt blow up.. and i then sell the house and a surveyor establishes that the work was done badly (shortcuts etc) but the house hasnt blown up yet.. what you are saying is that the work was therefore competent? but not acceptable to regs?
this will go on for ages...

Sponsored Links
Back