Correct boiler for unvented water system ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at the Vailiant range to replace my old boiler.....I'm assuming condensing is the way to go ? I know the V's have stainless steel condensing but I would have thought most would have ...? Anyways my water system in unvented so should I be looking at a particular type ? I know I could ask the supplier but for my own information it would be nice to know what to look for

Sponsored Links
No edit button appearing...sorry.

Reading several stickys I'm seeing there is also something called a "system boiler" which says it is suitable for a closed system. Are these as efficient as Condensing boilers ?

.. I am in a very hard water area as well.

damn.. I put this post in and the edit button now appears...

A condensing system boiler sounds like just the ticket, what size depends on how big your house is. Just thought on you said unvented so you've probably already got a sealed system with a seperate pump and expansion vessel. So a condensing heat only boiler will do if that's the case.

Indeed...I'll "worry" about the size when I decide on the boiler.

So there is not one particular design of boiler for an unvented system ?

Sponsored Links
topgazza said:
Indeed...I'll "worry" about the size when I decide on the boiler.

So there is not one particular design of boiler for an unvented system ?

The boiler doesn't care if the cylinder is vented or unvented. Boilers have to condensing by law, unless special circumstances occur.

Is this a thermal store or an unvented cylinder you have?

Unvented cylinder..all the gubbings are in a small cupboard in one of the top floor bedrooms.

We had it installed when we had a loft conversion and wanted to lose the header tanks to give us more space. Best thing we ever did as it provides great water pressure throughout the house and especially for showers. We have an old Potterton Netaheat boiler which to be honest is still doing a great job after 14 years...its just passed its yearly BG service and test with flying colours. Even the BG guy says that parts are still readily available and why change it whilst it is working. The cost of installing a new boiler against the extra efficiency of a new boiler would take years to get back in gas savings...he has a point. I'm just preparing for the eventuality that it finally goes ...BANG...

Go for one of the Ecotec Plus 600 series, which one will depend on the heat demand for your property.

topgazza said:
Unvented cylinder..all the gubbings are in a small cupboard in one of the top floor bedrooms.

We had it installed when we had a loft conversion and wanted to lose the header tanks to give us more space. Best thing we ever did as it provides great water pressure throughout the house and especially for showers. We have an old Potterton Netaheat boiler which to be honest is still doing a great job after 14 years...its just passed its yearly BG service and test with flying colours. Even the BG guy says that parts are still readily available and why change it whilst it is working. The cost of installing a new boiler against the extra efficiency of a new boiler would take years to get back in gas savings...he has a point. I'm just preparing for the eventuality that it finally goes ...BANG...

Not all parts are still available for the Neataheat. From a poor unreliable start the boiler took off and was very reliable. It was considered complex at the time - 1975. I had one at one time.

It will fail that is for sure, and each time money to put right. Basically you are nickel and diming the thing. Your gas bill drops substantially if a new condensing boiler is fitted. Payback? Well you will have to pay for replacement sooner or later, so the cost is rolled in there somewhere.

The 600 looks about perfect...need to assess what size one I need.

I think that when the Potterton has its first major crash BG cover will probably say it s"unrepairable" so i will bite the bullet , not use BG 'cos they are just too expensive...but have the Ecotec 600 fitted. If it wasn't going to cost me £1500-2000 I could almost get excited...but it would be worth it...

do not forget about worchester Bosch great boilers great manufacture and do not have a recall like some that the seal is causing then to burst in to frames
One in tree boilers fitted in the UK is Bosch and they have perhaps the best backup in the industry
I have fitted 200 or so in the last 3 years with no problems

abbeymead said:
do not forget about worchester Bosch great boilers great manufacture and do not have a recall like some that the seal is causing then to burst in to frames
One in tree boilers fitted in the UK is Bosch and they have perhaps the best backup in the industry
I have fitted 200 or so in the last 3 years with no problems

A big welcome to DIYnot's first Irish/Oriental

:D

Burner seal is old news and sorted now. All new Vaillants sold in the past year have had the new fitted and no problems found.

Only had one where the seal had gone.

allow 5000 btu per radiator(some will be more, some less) and 15000 btu to 20,000 for cylinder (210 to 300 litre) and go for nearest one under that calculation and it should be about right

abbeymead said:
One in tree boilers fitted in the UK is Bosch

Who told you that...it equates to over 1/2 million boilers per year :eek:

Do many repairs on Worcester abbeymead? or just install?

Apart from the old 230's and 24iRSF, Worcester's are a pig to work on with some rubbish design, some parts are crazy prices and their backup is no better than others.

Perhaps their kickbacks are better - they certainly get recommended too much on here. :mad:

kevindgas said:
allow 5000 btu per radiator(some will be more, some less) and 15000 btu to 20,000 for cylinder (210 to 300 litre) and go for nearest one under that calculation and it should be about right

Quick calc makes that 95-100K btu...fair enough...cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back