correct filler for exterior wall joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i live in a timber kit house and at various points around the exterior there are vertical joints/gaps filled with some kind of filler, i'm assuming these are sections where the timber kit sections meet? either way the filler is now cracking and i want to chip/peel it out and renew. i'm thinking something like this:

http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/sealants/outdoor-sealants/extreme-repair-sealant.html

advice please :)

Sponsored Links
The link doesn't give much info on the compound. At a guess I'd say it was acrylic based. Personally I would advise a polysulphide sealant for that type of seal. Two part ones are top dog but difficult to use if you're not experienced. (those are the sealants you get on garage forecourts - basically bombproof) One part ones are also good and much easier to use. I'd use a one part.

The link doesn't give much info on the compound. At a guess I'd say it was acrylic based. Personally I would advise a polysulphide sealant for that type of seal. Two part ones are top dog but difficult to use if you're not experienced. (those are the sealants you get on garage forecourts - basically bombproof) One part ones are also good and much easier to use. I'd use a one part.

cheers, something like this:

http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.c..._P25570.html?gclid=CMvZ_qWBv8QCFTDHtAodwhAAhA

hi diy_fun_uk

Some of the expansion joints in what I believe to be the age of the house these photos are from, are quite large, invariably the joint does not have metal beads at each side, local Authority cheap skates? can make filling difficult needing the new mastic to be tooled a lot.

The problems you may face is to fill a large gap with tubes of filler will take time and effort to finish of nicely

Sponsored Links
hi diy_fun_uk

Some of the expansion joints in what I believe to be the age of the house these photos are from, are quite large, invariably the joint does not have metal beads at each side, local Authority cheap skates? can make filling difficult needing the new mastic to be tooled a lot.

The problems you may face is to fill a large gap with tubes of filler will take time and effort to finish of nicely

hi, house built in mid 80's, private developer not local authority but i take on board your comments re: gap may take a fair amount of filler!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back