Correct Insulation for Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating a property that had been empty for a while and there was a leak going through a flat roof which has a terrace on it, into the kitchen of the ground below. The leak has been fixed and the damaged plasterboard for the ceiling of the kitchen have been removed.

At the moment there is a layer of thin insulation that goes between the flat roof and the beams, and between 2 sets of beams there was also additional insulation that looks to be loft insulation.

What is the correct way to insulate this roof? Should I add loft insulation between the beams that are missing it, add a different type of insulation between the beams or should the layer of insulation between the beams and flat roof be enough?

I have also read that if this a cold flat roof I will need to leave a gap between the roof and the insulation for air flow but I am not sure if this a cold flat roof or not.

Here are pictures of the flat roof and insulation

bottom_of_flat_roof.jpg Bottom of flat roof material
terrace_above_roof.jpg Terrace above flat roof
additional_insulation.jpg Additional insulation between 2 sets of beams
insulation_between_beams_and_roof.jpg insulation between beams and roof above

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The first pic seems to be base of concrete mat roofing, does that area have no insulation?

Hi,

The area from the 1st picture is insulated in most places by the insulation in the 4th picture, but in one area about a 1m length between 2 beams in missing.

I just asked a roofer working next door and he said the material in the first picture contains a small amount of asbestos (I can't remember what he said the name of the material was), so I will probably avoid trying to replace the missing thin layer of insulation between the roof and beams so I don't risk disturbing the asbestos. The roofer also recommended using celotex or kingspan insulation board, but wasn't 100% sure this would be suitable.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back