Correct way to insulate single skin wall please.....

Keith,

As Perryone says, mould needs water to grow. It is particularly partial to clean pure water such as condensation. Where you get condensation you will more often than not get mould growth.

What you have is a small warm room with cold walls and a couple of vapour machines (the dogs) pumping moisture into the atmosphere. It's a recipe for condensation and mould growth. Guaranteed!

What you need to do is warm the walls up sufficiently to stop surface condensation. My specification will probably do the job. It would also help if you ventilate as well.

Some vapour WILL get through the joints. It will hit the external cold wall and condense into water there. But that will be on your single skin wall which IS damp anyway so it probably won't do any harm.

All I can say is that I have spec'd this successfully many times and used it in my own garage, which is also single skin brick, when I converted it to an office. That was 10 years ago and the walls and decoration are in perfect condition.

The only thing I would say is that I'm not in favour of waterproofing external masonry surfaces. Waterproofing can trap more moisture in than it keeps out. Best in my opinion to have maximum breathability from inside to out.

Sponsored Links
Silicone does not waterproof!
Silicone paint is high tech, it sheds rain and allows water vapour out, this ensures that walls can dry outwards.

I can`t paint anything on the outside wall as it is virtually against another wall....unless I can get a very thin man down the gap with a brush.

Think I will go for the insulated plasterboard soloution with no vapour barrier

If that fails to work then I think its got to be a plastic mebrane over the top of the plasterboard and re-sheet it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back