Correct wiring for custom extension lead

Sponsored Links
No. You MUST use 3 core flex and earth the socket regardless of whether the appliance needs it or not.

You MUST, MUST, MUST use 3 core cable and wire up the earth pin. Just because you only intend to plug in a TV does not mean someone else may come along later and plug in a class 1 appliance.

Sponsored Links
As said because your TV, Sky box, Blueray, DVD, CD player/recorder does not have an earth does not mean the next one will be the same. This is how accidents happen, you think it's OK, but then something changes.

I have seen it so many times, dads house kitchen had a BA22d bulb, no earth required, he then found a fluorescent with a BA22d plug no earth required, but when this failed he got a standard 5 foot fluorescent, earth required, but there was no earth pre 1966 wiring. He lucky never got a shock, but when the professional came to rewire his kitchen he looked at the lamp and saw it was a type requiring an earth and so never bothered about it when the ceiling was re-boarded until he came to refit and found no earth.

At this point I became involved, it cost an arm and a leg to get a class II fitting for the kitchen light. It is still a problem and likely the whole house will need rewiring as a result. OK as a DIY person I could ignore it. However that does not make it safe. And some time down the time scale you may like I did wish the installers has included that earth wire.

Thank you all for the advice, all duly noted, I'll get the correct cabling for this, cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back