correct wiring for lamp with transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apologies in advance if this sounds like a stupid question but i have recently bought a lamp which has a halogen bulb and it projects differing colours and shapes ( this isnt important).

There are no instrctions but i wanted to see if i can actually just wire this so i can plug it into a normal plug - the problem is that there is a transformer in the lamp fitting and only space for the live and neutral wire - no earth.

I would like to justt plug this lamp in instead of possibly overloading the spurred sockets in the room - i dont want to add this as a socket i just want to plug it in - can this be done

cheers

Sponsored Links
mango said:
There are no instrctions but i wanted to see if i can actually just wire this so i can plug it into a normal plug - the problem is that there is a transformer in the lamp fitting and only space for the live and neutral wire - no earth.
That's only a problem if you connect one of the wires to the earth pin of your plug.

I would like to justt plug this lamp in instead of possibly overloading the spurred sockets in the room
That looks like English, but I don't understand what it means.

i dont want to add this as a socket i just want to plug it in - can this be done
Nor that.

Do you mean "can I put a plug on the end of the cable?"?

I knew that i wouldnt be able to explain this properly - the light has a transformer and only a live and a neutral wires - can i simply wire this into a normal plug and not through a ceiling light fitting.

Sorry really not very good on electrics

Cheers

Sponsored Links
no the transformer is actually in the lamp - i just want to connect this to a normal plug

right, so this lamp is designed for permenant installation? do you have a photo or a link to a website for it?

You can just put a wire and plug on it if you wish - provided the light has the ability to grip the flex securely. Use 2 core flex, unless there is an earth terminal on the chassis - in which case you MUST use 3 core. What wattage is the lamp?

PS. excuse ban's sledgehammer wit, I think he's the type that might run a hotel but hate guests - much like he posts on a DIY site but hates "daft" or "badly worded" questions from DIYers :rolleyes: :LOL:

not everyone's as eloquent or computer-literate as you ban!

Crafty - I wasn't having a go.

It seemed as though mango wanted to know if he could put a plug on the end of the cable for this light.

But honestly - you tell me what this means:

"I would like to justt plug this lamp in instead of possibly overloading the spurred sockets in the room"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back