Corrosion on contact pins on 12 volt halogen lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished re tiling 2 toilet blocks in a pub. The landlord is downlight barmy and asked me to replace some downlight bulbs, 20 lights in total and 9 of these were not working . he gave me new lamps and I changed them. As I was about to throw the old lamps away I noticed that their contact pins were badly corroded so I emmery clothed the pins on one and checked continuity with my meter, then did the same to the rest and found that 8 of the 9 were OK. I told the landlord who insists on keeping downlights that he may be better changing to 230volt GU10 lights because of there more substantial contacts and no potential transformer problems and to make sure his extraction is up to scratch. Has anyone seen this sort of problem befor, as I have 12volt downlights in my bathroom with no trouble and would GU 10s help the situation

Sponsored Links
sounds like its damp that is causing the problem, need to cure that

Thanks breezer that sounds right, but do you think fitting GU 10s would help or lightly greasing contacts,or maybe both. Thanks ,Wes.

the damp problem needs to be solved, not "masked" probably needs a fan, vents or both

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply breezer , I understand a problem should not be "masked", but due to supporting steels above ceiling where lights are fitted making a ceiling fan impossible to vent outside the only extraction is the current working 10 inch unit fitted to the outside wall some way from the lights.This brings me back to my previous queries or would IP rated units help. I know this does not solve the core problem of damp but just trying to find a way of helping the problem. Thanks again Wes

No, IP rated fittings will not make any difference, and it seems a complete waste of money converting all the fittings to cheap and nasty GU10 fittings

It might not be damp. Cheap MR16 lampholders sometimes don't have very good springs in them which makes for a poor connection with the lamp.

You should first of all replace the lampholders and lamps at the same time for all the affected fittings, and throw away all the lamps which have had their pins damaged.

I agree, it may be that, do a lot of pub work and due to the long hours there on the holders usually do end up poorly connecting.

Stick with the 12 volt.
New holder and lamp usually cures it.

thanks RF lighting for your reply, was speaking to the guy at my local lunch time who had a similar problem and solved it by replacing with D 2 bulk heads gave better light cheaper to run and without lamp problems, units look quite smart as well

Great replies and thanks breezer , RF and Rocky I will give him this site and he can make his own mind up. I might get more work on the strength of it ,who knows?. Kind regards Wes

Just wondering if the original downlights were installed before smoking was banned in pubs, when everything rapidly turned 'pub ceiling colour' within days of installation.

The corrosive properties of the atmosphere and any condensation may now have changed. I'm not sure if it is for better or worse, because a lot of places now seem to have cut back on ventilation / air extraction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back