Corrugated iron roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At this time of the year, winter, when the sun comes out the underside of my garage roof, exposed corrugated iron sheeting, attracts considerable condensation and the constant dripping saturates everything below.

Does anyone know how I might line the underside of the roof (preferably without a major effort!) to remove the problem?

Sponsored Links
Mmm, not always then either. I've got several structures that are basically open-sided barns with tin tops, and on heavy dew days they drip heavily too. Worst is cold, still mornings after warm days.

The insulated tin sheeting certainly does help since it reduces the coldness for the moisture to condensate on, but it ain't cheap.

Not tried it myself, but I imagine plenty of insulation followed by vapour barrier followed by a ceiling board of some description would do pretty well the same job in retrofit.

A metal roof will always have condensation on it, think you need to either live with it or replace it with a polycarbonate roof or similar.
What do you use the garage for?

Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone for your replies, they have helped to clarify my mind as to what I may have to do about the problem. I was hoping there might have been a bitumen paint or something I could have coated on to warm up the surface. It is all about temperature differences, of course, and the air, plenty of which comes in throught the double doors. I may have to suspend plastic sheeting or something to capture the constant drips (it's a sloping roof) and direct the streams to an internal gutter. Hillw, I keep everything (all highly imporant and useful stuff that only men appreciate) in there which my wife won't have in the house, so sometimes it's quite a struggle to get in.

Sounds the same as mine!!
Was goign to suggest a polycarbonate roof, as the twinwall type would reduce if not stop condensation totally, but it would mean a total re-roof, not sure if you are up to that?

Good thinking, Wreckedit!

But wouldn't it be better to ludl the chakcer on the lutterbud bestwif? Nimfy futtie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back