Cost of bulding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am part of a local community group that wants to build a soft play centre in out area. We are trying to work out roughly how much this will cost. We have been given a rough price for the cost of the soft play equipement, a cafe (kitchen equipment, table & chairs etc) and equipment for a multi-sensory room.

But what we really need is a rough estimate on how much it would cost to actually build the building? I know without size and plans etc it's pretty hard but any ideas who could help?

Sarah

Please see forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Mods/Admin,
it looks as if we need another section adding to the forum. I suggest you call it the CRYSTAL BALL section. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Trulli,

It's a common question and I guess people get fed up with being asked the same thing over and over without enough detail. Also, even if you were to provide plenty of detail, there are so many variables that pricing without seeing the site and plans would probably be impossible.

I'm sure it was nothing personal.

Your best option is to get three or four builders in to provide quotes. However, before doing this you will need to decide exactly what you want - it's no good asking a builder to come out and price a job without knowing exactly what you want because you'll probably then find that you change the spec for the next builder and so on so you're left with four different quotes from four different builders for four different sets of specifications.

Decide what you want and stick to it as much as possible. You'll obviously have to allow for changes to specifications that me not be practicable or even possible.

Regards

Fred

Well it's a going to be a social enterprise run by the community. The council are possible going to gift us some land for us to build it on. It will feature the usual things most play centres have - soft play equipment, slides, climbing frames, ball pits etc, toilets, a kitchen and eating area,a community room so we can do additional activities and also a a multi-sensory room and a reception.

We are going to apply for funding to build it aswell as fundraising ourselves but to fundraise we need to give people a rough estimate of how much we are trying to raise.

We have been quoted £130,000- £180,000 for the equipment and I was thinking that maybe the build would take us to very approximately £500,000? but thought that someone on here might be able to point me to someone/somewhere that could give us a better estimate. That's all.

Sorry if you have had lots of similar posts.

Sarah

Trulli

You CAN get the sort of help you require, not just negative comments, although you will have to involve the professional service of a Professiona Quantity Surveying practice who will have a good idea of costs for the type of building you require.

You may have to pay a fee for this but the response will be professional and value for money, they will discuss your design criteria give you examples of similar jobs and provide outline costs and program.

Alternatively you can get a rougher guide by using some of the self build magazines that have national average costs/m² for different types of buildings.

Hope this helps :D

As mentioned, get some plans drawn up - they don't need to be that detailed at this stage. Just so that a builder can get the general idea to give you a price. Get several prices.

:D Thanks I'll have a look for those magazines. We seem to be able to get plenty of help with starting a social enterprise and running it and what funding to apply for etc but we the actual building part we have come a bit unstuck. Having no money in the kitty doesn't help either! ;)

trulli1972 said:
Well it's a going to be a social enterprise run by the community. The council are possible going to gift us some land for us to build it on.

If it is a social enterprise and you can get local tradespeople to help out then self build can be a very economical way to do it.

http://www.segalselfbuild.co.uk/

is the place I would recommend. The Segal method works.

trulli1972 said:
Brilliant Thanks! :D

If you put an e-mail address in your profile. ( or contact me via my profile ) I will provide a bit more information about a project using Segal method.

I couldn't work out out to show my email in my profile. I've put the website in there, if you go to the contacts page, I'm Sarah.

Sounds like your wanting to build a place like "Space" in Preston, i notice your from Lancashire, so maybee your aware of that place, I was told it cost a millon quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back