cost of roof went up 50% once finished

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just had a roof completed today and was originally quoted £1800 for the job. They built a Timber frame construction, used 2 x 9 be 4 steels and 300 double roman roof tiles and 13 meters of leading. Without going in to details the job dragged on for ages and then today i was hit with a 50% increase in the bill taking it to £2900, he blamed the cost of lead and the price of steel. BUT surely when he quoted me he had quoted for the lead etc!

Now last week i asked him if the price was still what was quoted and he said 'yeah yeah pretty much there abouts'.

Now i expected maybe a 10/15% increase on the quote as with all jobs a buffer is required for hidden nasties.

What do you guys reckon to this massive increase of 50%. What steps can i take or do i just bite the bullet

Par1sons

Sponsored Links
He's just trying it on. Bet he's a *****.

Sponsored Links
He owes him nothing. If the quote wasn't in writing then he doesn't even have to pay a penny. He was given the roof for free.

verbal contracts are just as binding as written ones, but less easy to prove.

They aren't worth the paper they're written on.

You need to clarify exactly what was quoted for.

If the quote was just for the roof and tiles then you may assume that lead was included, but the roofer may be entitled to charge extra - in fact its a common scam to miss "essential" items out of quotes (and word the quote accordingly) so as to be vague, and enable extra charges afterwards.

So, for a better answer you, need to confirm if this was a fixed fee quote, a quote with an element of provision for extra work and cost, or just a estimate of possible costs when completed

But if the work was done as quoted, then you only pay the quoted sum, plus any agreed extra if applicable

What is written on his quote?

Sadly not but we had two phone calls regarding quote and he said £1800 for constructing the roof and tiling. He said that price may change pending on the council inspector. Inspector requested two steels to be used and timber strapped. So the only extra was the steels which were second hand. I have priced all the material he's used and it comes to £750 inc lead at £212, code 4 300mm 1.6mm

Andy

£1800 for a roof? What was it.....? A wendy house.....!

Come on 300 double Romans at 87p each inc vat, £212 of lead and £150 of timber. 4 days work £1200 in your back pocket not bad when theres naff all work around at the mo

verbal contracts are just as binding as written ones, but less easy to prove.

joe-90:

They aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Joe, I think you meant:

They aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back