Could a neighbouring property's porch prevent one being built?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My wife and I viewed a property today that we like a lot and are weighing up what's involved, the potential problems, etc.

So far, my only area of concern is that I would see us eventually adding a porch, but due to an existing one at a neighbouring property there might cause problems (such as planning permission or annoying someone that their porch window is blocked).

As below (in the attached photo), not only would the porch be within a couple of meters (centimetres, in this case) of another property, it would also be right next to the neighbouring property's porch and blocking one of the porch's windows.

houseweviewed.jpg

A total novice about these things, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurtman

Sponsored Links
no you can build your porch within your boundary or right up to it. their tough luck they shouldn't have put a window in there facing your property

As what he ^^^ said.

Done a similar alteration and my new neighbour was Ok with me blocking the view from a window,not all neighbours would have been so helpful.

Would you want to move into a property where there might ultimately be an issue with the neighbour?

Sponsored Links
You could just put a matching window on your side !!

From the photo it looks like the neighbour has put a blind there to block the view in anycase; I suspect the best thing to do, assuming (i) your porch was to be similar, (ii) the neighbours porch is on the boundary, would be to have a shared wall (rather than a small gap). Discuss with neighbour, they may be amenable to bricking up the window.

You could just put a matching window on your side !!

From the photo it looks like the neighbour has put a blind there to block the view in anycase; I suspect the best thing to do, assuming (i) your porch was to be similar, (ii) the neighbours porch is on the boundary, would be to have a shared wall (rather than a small gap). Discuss with neighbour, they may be amenable to bricking up the window.

Yep. And avoid the maintenance headache of two separate roofs each with their own inaccessible verge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back