Could the extension be bigger than the house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Does anybody have experience with big extensions? Could the extension be bigger than the house? I have 7m at the side of my property (to the border with my neighbour). He also has the same space (to the side of his property). So, his and my house are 14 m apart. The garden is 30 m deep. Could I make a big extension (6m at the side, and lent to be the same as the existing house – 7 m)? I’m talking about two-story extension. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to check your local plan. Some LAs restrict extensions to not more than 50% of the original house but I think Wiltshire (North Wilts anyway) are fairly relaxed compared to some.

Look up you local plan. It will be policy 'H' something. Possibly H8.

also iff there has been any other extension work that has been done in the past since 1948 this comes off the 50% allowance

Its generally frowned upon - massing, dominance and overbearing are common statements

However, despite all my local councils specifically stating that extensions must not be bigger than the existing house, I regularly see massive side extensions more than doubling the existing house size - typically by certain parts of the community. So I don't know if having extended families in one house is a valid planning consideration. Or more than likely having a lot of cash in an envelope is the way to go

Sponsored Links
Or more than likely having a lot of cash in an envelope is the way to go

Or having a friendly local councillor, who make the final decision, whatever the planning officers decide:cool:

At the rear of my girlfriends house (he quickly adds) they have had two extensions. The first was perhaps 60% size of original house. The second was 50% of original house.

It was passed straight away....

So, as and when girlfriend wants me to play at building, We will put an application for exactly the same specification, build costs will be pretty light and it's on chalk !! Phew !!

This was in Dorset, near Dorchester.

I've recently had a refusal for a similar proposal and this was via Guildford Borough Council...

Whilst the proposal would be acceptable with regards to the points raised above, its width at 4.9m, would represent a wide extension when compared to the width of the main part of the house, at 8.15m. As such, the proposal would not retain the scale of the main house.

Given this, the proposal would harm the scale and character of the existing property and have an adverse affect on the context and character of the adjacent buildings and immediate surroundings. The proposal therefore contravenes policies H9 and G5 of the Guildford Borough Local Plan 2003 (as saved by CLG Direction on 24 September 2007) and Supplementary Planning Guidance: Residential Extensions 2003.
You may as well try as they can only say no... which they did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back