Council approved drawings that don't meet regs now won't sign off

• Thread starter Deleted member 281264
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 281264

So I'm trying to get sign off now, but due to an open plan space downstairs and a loft conversion upstairs i'm being told I need to have a misting/sprinker system fitted. The drawings were approved with no mention of this

any one got any advice about what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Have looked through all the approved drawings.. smoke alarms only mentioned but no sprinklers

Sponsored Links
Where is the existing plan? Do you just have a first floor above (no loft conversion)? Are all the upper storey windows escape windows ie do they meet the necessary criteria?

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that if a full plans application is approved and it subsequently turns out there is a serious contravention shown on the approved plan that the local authority can be held liable for the cost of rectification.
We do not know what the project is and the plan shown doesn't look like a building regs plans as it is completely devoid of details. If the job does require a protected escape route from the upper floors and the ground floor hallway opens directly in to the kitchen then that is a fundamental error and I am amazed that they missed it. Are you sure you received full plans approval?

It was a full plans application 100% because it involved moving drains. I gained approval 1 week after the work started and had 5 BCO visits.

Building regulations drawings just mention smoke alarms, which we have installed along with all suitable fire doors and windows.

There is a loft conversion which is the reason they want sprinklers/automist

I cannot put a door inbetween stair case and open plan area, will not work for the occupants. BCO came today and decided to mention this once the work is fully finished.

only this is mentioned in the drawings

then for the staircase

tulisan keren online copy paste

Looks like Building Control f*cked up big time then. Tell them that you have built in accordance with the approved plan and they can jog on ....... see what they say.

One other thing to check. Make sure you have the latest drawing? I have seen it before where the builder was given an old superseded drawing to work from and missed later amendments. Easy mistake to make.

There was only 1 set of drawings, I studied them thoroughly and would of noticed any mention of sprinklers. I had assumed they weren't needed, would of thought at least one of the professionals on the way would of picked up on it. Architect, builder or BCO.

Automist quote coming in at over 5k for install and no making good, it would be a huge amount of distruption everything is decorated and snagged

Just because you've only got one set of drawings doesn't mean the "architect" only produced one set. It is very common to submit the application and then have to make some amendments to satisfy queries raised by Building Control. The architect could have sent you the old set by mistake? Ask them to explain why Building Control are now asking for misting?

I would suggest it is actually quite easy to miss this error once work is progressing on site. If everyone was just blindly following the "approved" plan then the fact a door is missing between the hallway and kitchen wouldn't be obvious until the job is finished.

Loft conversion, that'd be it then. Guessing this is not a single dwelling for a family then?

Was it a Conditional Approval and sprinklers mentioned in the conditions? What has Building Control said after you said the build is in accordance with the approved plans?

Yes to add to wessex101's comments it happens more times than you can imagine that builders don't work to the up to date drawings.

It is a single family dwelling. There were no conditions, I sent the plans to BC myself to make sure they got them. They sent me a certificate of approval for those plans, I was very thorough and tried to make sure everything was done to the best of my knowledge checking the plans multiple times.

I read all the plans again, there are no conditions in Building Controls certificate they sent to me. I would of noticed any mention of fire supression because it's quite a big deal

I am waiting on their response, it is local council BC rather than an approved inspector

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back