Council approved drawings that don't meet regs now won't sign off

• Thread starter Deleted member 281264
  • Start date
Is there a name attached to the Regs approval? Sometimes they're just signed by 'Building Control Team' or whatever but other times they're signed by the actual inspector. Presumably it's a different site inspector anyway? It is possible the site inspector assumed there would be a kitchen door fitted which could explain the lack of foresight. None of that excuses the not picking it up during the plan approval process of course, assuming it is as black and white as that.

Sponsored Links
The approval as you say just comes from the building control department no names.

I looked back on my emails to them when applying, I sent them planning drawings, structural engineers drawings and also building regulations drawings all showing a large open plan space.

Last edited by a moderator:
The approval as you say just comes from the building control departmen no names.

I looked back on my emails to them when applying, I sent them planning drawings, structural engineers drawings and also building regulations drawings all showing a large open plan space.
To be fair it is not the open plan nature of the ground floor that is the problem, it is just the narrow opening between the hallway and the kitchen. In most cases I would assume a door would be inserted there to separate off the stairway from the rest of the ground floor. Apart from anything that is just good practice to prevent all the heat and cooking smells from the ground floor rising up through the stairwell through convection.

Sponsored Links
But you were sent a formal headed letter (certificate) AT SOME POINT saying FULL PLANS APPROVAL?
Yes definitely - 'NOTICE OF PASSING OF BUILDING PLANS'

To be fair it is not the open plan nature of the ground floor that is the problem, it is just the narrow opening between the hallway and the kitchen. In most cases I would assume a door would be inserted there to separate off the stairway from the rest of the ground floor. Apart from anything that is just good practice to prevent all the heat and cooking smells from the ground floor rising up through the stairwell through convection.
This would of been easy to acheive if i had been told at an early stage I would of altered the layout, but from the plans it's extremely obvious no door would ever go there. I have a powerful extractor van venting outside so cooking smells shouldn't be a huge issue

share image

What have the architects said? (are they actual architects ie registered with the ARB or what?) In my experience having been on the other side (ie achitects) they won't give/tell you anything unless you keep asking.

BCO claiming the red line in the hallway was mistaken for a door. No response from architect

Despite the approved BR drawings showing no line, and the structural drawings showing no line as above

So they are refering to planning drawings... lol I sent them all 3 drawings in one email for my application it is clearly an open plan space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are clutching at straws to deflect from the fact that they made a massive mistake.

I agree, it's almost laughable to make that as an excuse. What do you think I should do? I have told the BCO I will be taking this to the ombudsman

I agree, it's almost laughable to make that as an excuse. What do you think I should do? I have told the BCO I will be taking this to the ombudsman
Give the BCO a figure to install the system and make good which you expect paid or just go straight to ombudsman

Does the planning drawing show a door? I th
Give the BCO a figure to install the system and make good which you expect paid or just go straight to ombudsman
It's just so far form that simple you wouldn't believe and as mentioned the 'compensation' would only be the cost of retrofitting it and making good rather than the supply and installation costs. The OP has to pay for that no mater what.

No drawings show a door, the planning drawing is the one I posted. They are saying the red line by the staircase was mistaken for the door

Have you come across this situation before? @freddiemercurystwin

Oh sure, there's all sorts of cock-ups that occur when designers/builders/inspectors/whoever don't get things right, we're all just human. That said this is a very simple cock-up where the designer missed something very obvious (poorly trained/skilled/inexperienced/unchecked work or rushed and the plan inspector was merely (arguably) incompetent. This is schoolboy error territory.

Last edited:
Anyone that mistakes that for a door surely cannot be human;)

I meant more along the lines of this specific situation, where a plan has been approved and then built. I cannot find any information of any similar situations online

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back